Paul Ince has suggested Manchester United are “copying a Liverpool model” by signing Harry Maguire and starting with three quick forwards in attack.
United made an impressive start to their season by beating Chelsea 4-0 at Old Trafford, with Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and debutant Daniel James all scoring.
Are Man Utd “copying” Liverpool? Five key things to know…
- Liverpool have been hugely successful since signing Virgil van Dijk in January 2018.
- The Dutchman has shored up the defence, allowing Liverpool’s attack to wreak havoc.
- Paul Ince has suggested Maguire will permit United to do the same thing.
- Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford were on the scoresheet against Chelsea.
- Maguire helped United keep a rare home clean sheet.
Liverpool’s front three of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane have flourished since the arrival of Virgin van Dijk at Anfield.
And Ince believes United plan to replicate Liverpool, with Maguire’s presence helping the team’s pacy attackers to score more goals.
“I look at United and I feel like they’re almost copying a Liverpool model,” Ince told Paddy Power.
“They got Virgil van Dijk in and United got Harry Maguire in, and it seems they’ve gone for three forwards too, pacey players like [Anthony] Martial, [Jesse] Lingard and [Marcus] Rashford.
“I don’t see where Lukaku fits into that, so I’m not surprised Ole let him go.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“But that does put extra pressure on the younger lads to find the net.
“The fact is, Lukaku is a goalscorer, he’s always been a natural goalscorer but the ball has to be placed right in front of him.”
The Red Devils face Wolves away on Monday night.