Manchester United could leapfrog Chelsea into the top four when they welcome Southampton to Old Trafford in the Premier League on Monday night (20:00 kick-off).
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer‘s side have been flying high in the top flight recently and currently boast a 17-match unbeaten run in all competitions, the best undefeated stretch since the Sir Alex Ferguson era ended. Those wins have been augmented by the manner of victories, scoring 16 in the past five games.
With Chelsea folding against Sheffield United at the weekend, the Red Devils have the chance to move into the top four with just a few games remaining this season. Given Man Utd‘s form and the Saints‘ woeful away record against the ‘Big Six’, having won only one of their last 23 games, a home win seems likely.
That said Ralph Hasenhuttl‘s side have become tricky customers post-shutdown, losing just once to Arsenal, and picking up a huge win over Manchester City. Galvanised by the ferocious form of Danny Ings, another giantkilling is not beyond the realms of possibility for Southampton.
Where to watch Man United vs Southampton on TV:
- UK: Sky Sports Main Event & Sky Sports Premier League
- US: NBCSN
Man United vs Southampton: Betting offers
Rashford to score and Man United to win (35/1) | William Hill
Click here to access William Hill’s new customer offer for Man United vs Southampton. 18+ only. Mobile only. Use promo code EPMR35. Max £1 bet at 35/1. Returns paid as 7 x £5 free bets. Eligibility rules, free-bet rules, location restrictions, payment-method restrictions and full Ts&Cs apply.
Man Utd to win (6/1) and Southampton to win (100/1) | 888Sport
Click here to access 888Sport’s new customer offer for Man United vs Southampton • Max Bet £5 • £10 deposit using promo code • Free bets are granted within 72 hours and expires after 7 days • Free bet stakes not included in returns • Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time. Withdrawal restrictions & full T&C’s apply.
Man United vs Southampton: Line ups and live action
Man United & Southampton’s previous line-ups:
- Man United (vs Aston Villa): De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; Matic, Pogba, Fernandes, Greenwood, Rashford; Martial.
- Southampton (vs Everton): McCarthy; Walker-Peters, Stephens, Bednarek, Bertrand; Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Armstrong, Redmond; Ings, Adams.
Man Utd remain without long-term absentees Phil Jones and Axel Tuanzebe, so Solskjaer is expected to name an unchanged XI. Southampton will travel to the north west without Sofiane Boufal, Yan Valery and Moussa Djenepo, while Jannik Vestergaard faces a late fitness test.
Players to watch:
Bruno Fernandes has won 75% of the monthly Premier League player awards since making his Man Utd debut:
✓ February Player of the Month
✓ June Player of the Month
✓ June Goal of the Month
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) July 10, 2020
- Man United: All eyes may be centred on the latest jewel to emerge from Man Utd‘s esteemed academy in Mason Greenwood, but the real difference-maker in the club’s 2020 resurgence has been Bruno Fernandes. The creative maestro has provided Solskjaer‘s side with fresh impetus and has elevated the performance levels of every player around him. Paul Pogba has been playing with the verve of his Juventus days, while Anthony Martial looks as dangerous a No. 9 as Man Utd have ever had. The Portuguese just oozes class and brings another dimension to Solskjaer‘s system. His 13 goal involvements in 10 Premier League appearances is the joint-most by a player in their first 10 games in the competition’s history, alongside Mick Quinn.
- Southampton: There are a whole host of players to watch at Man Utd, but there is just one standout performer at St Mary’s: Danny Ings. Not since James Beattie (23) in 2002/03 has a Southampton player netted 20+ goals in one Premier League season, but Ings is on the cusp of reaching that milestone, with the one-time England international currently on 19 for the season. Only Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (20) and Jamie Vardy (23) have more to their name, and Ings will be vying to the last kick of Premier League football this season to clinch a first-ever Golden Boot. Man Utd have been susceptible at the back recently and Ings will be relishing the chance to exploit those flaws on Monday.
Scoreline prediction: Man United 2-1 Southampton
Premier League 2019/20 recent form:
- Man Utd: WWWWW
- Southampton: DWWLW