Manchester City have one foot in the door of the Champions League quarter-finals but face a formidable Real Madrid side in second leg of their last-16 clash at the Etihad on Friday night.
Pep Guardiola’s side ran out 2-1 winners in the reverse fixture at the Bernabeu back in March, but Zinedine Zidane, in the opposing dugout, has won this competition three times and will know what it takes to get the job done, even if that would require a huge turnaround.
The Citizens will be determined to take one step closer to ol’ ‘Big Ears’ after they fell below domestic expectations this season, conceding the Premier League title to Liverpool with a whimper and suffering elimination from the FA Cup in the semi-finals to Arsenal.
Opposition does not come much bigger than Real Madrid, though. They may have clinched La Liga, but Zidane has never failed to win this tournament in any of his attempts and will want to keep it that way.
The winners will fly out to Portugal next week for a mini-tournament to determine this season’s champions, and one of Lyon or Juventus face either City or Real in the quarter-finals.
Where to watch Man City v Real Madrid on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1, BT Sport Extra 1
- US: CBS All Access
Where to live stream Man City v Real Madrid:
US: FuboTV* host various channels broadcasting the 2019/20 Champions League. Those interested in streaming Man City v Real Madrid live can do so by while taking advantage of a seven-day free trial by following the steps below.
- Click on this link.
- Select ‘Start Your Free Trial’ and enter details.
- Log in and pick your desired channel to watch.
*Geo restrictions apply. Fubo is currently available in the United States, Canada and Spain. Packages and pricing differ per country.
Man City & Real Madrid enhanced odds from 888sport:
If you’re over 18, Gamble Aware and don’t have an account with 888sport already, you can take advantage of their enhanced odds offer for Manchester City v Real Madrid by following the steps below:
- Visit the site via this link
- Open an account and deposit using promo code 888ODDS
- Bet £5 at the normal odds on either team to win
- Get your extra winnings paid in FREE BETS
PLEASE NOTE: New customers only • Max Bet £5 • £10 deposit using promo code • Free bets are granted within 72 hours and expires after 7 days • Free bet stakes not included in returns • Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time. withdrawal restrictions & full T&C’s apply Full T&C’s apply
Man City & Real Madrid’s starting line-ups:
- Man City: Ederson; Walker, Fernandinho, Laporte, Cancelo; De Bruyne, Rodri, Gundogan; Foden, Jesus, Sterling.
- Real Madrid: Courtois; Carvajal, Varane, Miltao, Mendy; Modric, Casemiro, Kroos; Hazard, Benzema, Rodrygo.
Players to watch:
Man City: There is only one man on the lips of every City fan at the moment and that is Kevin De Bruyne, the majestic Belgian playmaker who equalled Thierry Henry’s record assists total for a single Premier League season in 2019/20 (20). And if that wasn’t enough he also helped himself to 14 league goals. Make no mistake the outcome of this fixture could hinge on the performance levels of De Bruyne, and he rarely has a off day.
Real Madrid: Los Blancos will need goals to progress, and while they haven’t quite been the venomous force they once were when Cristiano Ronaldo was running riot in the Spanish capital, his departure has brought the goalscoring best out of Karim Benzema. Since Ronaldo left, Benzema has netted 20+ goals in successive league campaigns, something he had never previously managed to achieve. If Guardiola is to navigate his way through this tie, he will need to find a way to thwart the attacking potency of Real’s deadly No. 9.
Scoreline prediction: Man City 1-1 Real Madrid (City progress)
You can find more Man City vs Real Madrid predictions over on Squawka Bet.
- Manchester City have progressed from all seven of their previous knockout ties when winning the first leg away from home in major Uefa European competition.
- This is the third Champions League meeting between Manchester City and Real Madrid at the Etihad; the previous two ended as draws (1-1 in 2012-13 group stage, 0-0 in 2015-16 semi-final first leg).
- Real Madrid are looking to overturn a first leg deficit in a Champions League knockout tie for the first time since the 2015-16 quarter-final against Wolfsburg, progressing from that tie (0-2 first leg, 3-0 second leg). They have never overturned a deficit after losing the first leg at home in four previous instances.
(Stats above from Opta)
Betting offers: Get 25/1 on Both Teams To Score in Man City vs Real Madrid
Real Madrd have scored in all but one of their Champions League games this season (the 3-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain). As you might expect, no team in the competition has managed to keep City out this season. However, after keeping two clean sheets in their opening two UCL games, City have conceded in all five fixtures since.
Follow the four steps below if you’re interested in betting on Both Teams To Score at enhanced odds of 25/1 with William Hill.
- Visit William Hill through this link
- Sign up for your new account using EPC25 in the Promo Code section.
- Add both teams to score in Man City vs Real Madrid @ 25/1 in your bet slip and place a £1 bet
- If the bet wins, William Hill will pay out at 25/1 in free bets
PLEASE NOTE: 18+ only. Be Gamble Aware.New customers using EPC25. Mobile only. Applies to bets placed from 09:00 on 7 August 2020 until 20:00 on 7 August 2020. Max £1 bet at 35/1. Returns paid as 6 x £5 free bets (30 day expiry). Player & currency restrictions & terms apply. See full terms at William Hill’s website.
Champions League 2019/20 recent form:
- Man City: WWDDW
- Real Madrid: LWDWW