Football News

Bayern manager Kovac apologises to Guardiola over “offensive” Sane comments

By Chris Smith

Published: 11:40, 31 July 2019

Bayern Munich manager Niko Kovac has apologised to Pep Guardiola after publicly stating he was “confident” the Bavarians would sign Man City winger Leroy Sane.

After losing Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery earlier this summer, the Bundesliga champions have been chasing the signature of Sane with speculation gathering pace throughout the transfer window.

Sane’s transfer saga: Five key things to know…

  • Sane joined City from Schalke in 2016 for an initial £37m.
  • Since then, he’s scored 39 goals and won five major honours.
  • Last season, he bagged 10 goals and 10 assists in the league but started just 21 times.
  • This has sparked rumours of a Bayern move with Kovac “confident” a deal will be done.
  • Kovac has since apologised to City for his strong stance.

At the weekend, Kovac expressed his ‘confidence’ that a deal for Sane would be put in place, although that didn’t go down too well with Bayern CEO Karl-Heinze Rummenigge, who told German publication, ZDF: “I did not like what he said.”

Following Bayern’s 6-1 pre-season win over Fenerbahce, Kovac issued an apology to Guardiola and City, saying: “We talked about it. Maybe I was too offensive in that interview. I talked to Pep and apologised because of it.

“I would like to apologise to the club, too. I will restrain myself in cases like this in the future.”

Bayern’s sporting director and former winger Hasan Salihamidzic also criticised Kovac over his handling of the matter, backing Rummenigge’s comments.

Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.

“We are all well-advised not to talk about other players who are under contract with other clubs,” he told ZDF.

“That’s why Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said that.”

Despite finding himself in and out of the City starting XI last season, Sane still managed 10 goals and 10 assists in the Premier League as the Citizens retained their title.

Guardiola has been persistent in his stance that he would like the Germany international to remain at the Etihad Stadium and with the English transfer window shutting on August 8, any deal would now leave the Spaniard with minimal time to find an adequate replacement.

✕︎

Get the Best offers for EURO 2020

A valid email is required.

Invalid e-mail.

Yes I am over 18.
Yes, I would like to receive email updates on exciting offers from squawka.com. For more info on how we and our partners process your data, see Privacy and Cookie Policies.

*This offer is not valid for residents of Great Britain.*By subscribing you are confirming that you are over 18 years of age.

*All emails include an unsubcrbe link, where you can opt out any time. *Please see our privacy and cookies policy..

x

Newsletter error