Saturday’s Bundesliga action sees Mainz welcome Hoffenheim in a clash between two sides on the edge of very different battles. Mainz are currently 15th in
Saturday’s Bundesliga action sees Mainz welcome Hoffenheim in a clash between two sides on the edge of very different battles.
Mainz are currently 15th in the table, just one point clear of Fortuna Dusseldorf in the relegation play-off spot and very much still in a fight against the drop.
Achim Beierlorzer’s men were held by Union Berlin last time out despite playing against 10 men for all of the second half. The draw allowed Dusseldorf to cut what was previously a four-point gap, thanks to their win against Schalke.
Further up the table, Hoffenheim have an outside chance of qualifying for next season’s Europa League. A win over Koln kept Hoffenheim within three points of sixth-placed with just six games remaining and also handed them their first victory in seven, a run that had seen them drop down the table.
Where to watch Mainz v Hoffenheim on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 3
- US: Fox Soccer Plus
Where to live stream the game:
UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Mainz vs Hoffenheim live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware. Odds and promotions in this article accurate at time of writing (29/05/2020, 11am)
US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Mainz vs Hoffenheim confirmed line-ups:
— Mainz 05 English (@Mainz05en) May 30, 2020
- Mainz: Muller; Baku, Bruma, Hack, Niakhate; Barreiro Martins, Fernandes; Awoniyi, Boetius, Quaison; Mateta.
Mainz make one change, as former West Ham midfielder Edmilson Fernandes comes into the line-up.
— TSG Hoffenheim EN (@achtzehn99_en) May 30, 2020
- Hoffenheim: Baumann, Bogarde, Posch, Nordveit, Zuber; Rudy, Samassekou; Skov, Baumgartner, Bruun Larsen; Dabbur.
Hoffenheim coach Alfred Schreuder is more active in tweaking his starting XI. Defender Melayro Bogarde, 18, gets a Bundesliga debut. Harvard Nordveit also comes into the line-up. As does Sebastian Rudy in midfield.
Players to watch:
- Mainz: The 05ers’ defence has not been good this season. No Bundesliga team have conceded more goals than Mainz’s 61 so far. One man trying to remedy that has been former Chelsea youth product Jeffrey Bruma. The Dutch centre-back was once tipped to be a long-term partner of John Terry at Chelsea, with Bruma even admitting his aim was to reach the Englishman’s level. But Bruma fell into the club’s loan cycle before eventually leaving permanently in 2013. Bruma joined Mainz on loan from Wolfsburg in January and has played in all but two of their Bundesliga matches since, making more clearances (31) than any other player in that time.
- Hoffenheim: Christoph Baumgartner was at the heart of Hoffenheim’s return to winning ways in midweek, scoring twice and recording an assist in their 3-1 win over Koln. The attacking midfielder started the 2019/20 campaign a relatively unknown entity having only made his Bundesliga debut at the end of the previous season and getting sent off in his second appearance. But Baumgartner, who is only 20, has taken his promotion to the first-team as an opportunity to show the world what he can do, scoring six goals and recording two assists in the Bundesliga so far. Among Hoffenheim’s squad, only Robert Skov and Andrej Kramaric have been directly involved in more Bundesliga goals than Baumgartner this season (both nine). His assist in the game mentioned above took the form of a backheel pass and is well worth your time.
Oh, this is just lovely 😍
Christoph Baumgartner is some player…
A brilliant assist for Hoffenheim's third. pic.twitter.com/gl4OTzDgi9
— 🇩🇪Ja! Watch the Bundesliga live on BT Sport🇩🇪 (@btsportfootball) May 27, 2020
Scoreline prediction: Mainz 1-2 Hoffenheim
Bundesliga 2019/20 recent form:
- Mainz: DLDDW
- Hoffenheim: WDLDL