Lyon will be hoping they can regain their place at the top of the Ligue 1 table when they host Metz on Sunday night (8pm kick-off, UK time).
Rudi Garcia’s men went into Ligue 1’s 20th matchweek top of the league, one point clear of defending champions Paris Saint-Germain, in search of a first title since 2008. However, the Parisians moved ahead of them on Saturday night after beating Angers 1-0, though Lyon, of course, still have a game in hand.
Where to watch Lyon vs Metz on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: beIN Sports
How to live stream Lyon vs Metz online:
Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those who are interested in streaming Lyon vs Metz live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund your account.
- Navigate to the ‘In-Play’ link at the top of the homepage and select your desired event.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account or placed a bet in the last 24 hours, BeGambleAware. All odds and offers within this article are accurate at the time of writing (20:30, 16/01/21).
Scoreline prediction: Lyon 2-0 Metz
Compare football odds to get the best in the market using the Oddspedia tool below. Selecting a price will take you to the bookmaker’s sign-up page, where you can register, claim whatever welcome offer is available to new customers and place your bet. (18+ only, Be Gamble Aware)
Lyon vs Metz build-up, previous line-ups & injury news:
It has been a long 12-and-a-half years for Lyon fans waiting for an eighth league title having won seven in a row between 2002 and 2008, but they have a very good chance of ending that run this season. After finishing a disappointing seventh last season, Lyon have made the most of a lack of European football.
Garcia’s side had a strained start to the season, with just one win in their opening six games, drawing four but they won 10 of their next 13 games, including a 1-0 victory over PSG, to give them a good lead at the top. That lead did shorten to just a point, however, with a draw against Rennes last weekend and now they must win this game in hand to push PSG back off their perch after the reigning champions won on Saturday.
Their opponents this weekend, Metz, have had an indifferent season so far but sit comfortably in 12th, 10 points clear of the relegation zone. They have one of the best defences in the league, conceding just 18 goals, but haven’t been too inspiring in front of goal, scoring 20.
And Lyon have a good record against Metz, winning the past eight games in Ligue 1, their longest such run against a side currently in France’s top flight. Not to mention nine consecutive home wins over Metz.
- Lyon (vs Rennes): Lopes; De Sciglio, Marcelo, Denayer, Cornet; Paqueta, Mendes, Aouar; Kadewere, Depay, Toko Ekambi.
- Metz (vs Nice): Oukidja; Centonze, Kouyate, Boye, Bronn, Delaine; Gueye, Maiga, Maziz; Angban; Leya Iseka.
Lyon have a fresh squad to choose from this weekend and could even welcome Islam Slimani into the fold, though the new signing is unlikely to start. Meanwhile, Metz are without Ibrahima Niane, Farid Boulaya, Opa Nguette, Vincent Pajot, Manuel Cabit and Matthieu Udol.
18+ only. New customers using promo code M50 only. 1x per customer. Min £/€10 bet. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Free bets of 2 x £/€20 issued after first qualifying bet settles. Max £/€10 Bonus. 35x wagering requirement. Max redeemable bonus: £25. Casino bonus expires after 72 hours. UK & Eire only. Additional T&Cs, including free-bet, game, location, payment method and stake contributions apply. See full terms below.
Place a pre-match £10 bet on any Football market between 2nd December and 24th December, at min. odds 1/2 (1.5) — get a total of £50 in free bets, £30 on bet settlement and an additional £20 the following day. Your qualifying bet must settle by Friday 23:59, 24th December. Only deposits via Cards will qualify (Apple Pay deposit excluded). T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.
18+ only. Place 5 x €10 Sportsbook bets on Football and get money back as cash if any lose. Maximum refund per qualifying bet is €10, x5 refunds available. Payment restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
To sign up, you need to be over 18, Gamble Aware and meet FanTeam’s terms and conditions. Otherwise, just follow these simple steps: Click the link to head to FanTeam and sign up. Join the ‘Second Chance Season Game’ tournament with your free entry ticket. Create a team and click ‘Enter Tournament’
Players to watch:
- Lyon: Slimani is only likely to be a substitute for Lyon this weekend largely due to the form of Memphis Depay. The Dutch forward has taken his game to another level this season, currently on 11 goals for the campaign, a tally only bettered by Kylian Mbappe and Boulaye Dia (both 12). Again, it is only Mbappe above Depay for combined goals and assists, with the Dutchman setting up his teammates on five occasions so far. But the problem for Lyon is that Depay’s current contract is up at the end of the campaign and he has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona, where he would link up with former Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman.
- Metz: As mentioned, Metz have one of the best defences in Ligue 1, with only PSG and Lille letting in fewer goals, and at the heart of that is Alexandre Oukidja. The goalkeeper has been rock solid at the back
this season aided by his defence, making 52 saves so far. However, what’s more remarkable is his save percentage. Oukidja has saved 75.36% of the shots he has faced in Ligue 1, bettered only by Keylor Navas and Anthony Racioppi among goalkeepers to have made at least 15 saves. He’ll need to maintain that sort of form this weekend against Ligue 1’s second-highest scorers.
Ligue 1 2020/21 recent form:
- Lyon: DWWWD
- Metz: DDLWW
More live stream options: