Lyon have confirmed the signing of Joachim Andersen from Sampdoria.
The 23-year-old Danish centre-back ends a two-year spell at the Serie A club who received €30m for his signature.
Andersen, who initially swapped Dutch outfit FC Twente for I Blucerchiati, ultimately made 42 appearances.
His overall performances, though, saw him subsequently linked with a number of top European clubs, including Arsenal, who are keen to strengthen their defensive options this summer.
In the end, Andersen opted to continue his career in Ligue 1, with his acquisition lauded by the newly-appointed sporting director (and club legend) Juninho Pernambucano.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“Andersen is a fantastic player,” he said. “He has great tactical and technical skills, which will help us a lot.”
— Olympique Lyonnais (@OL) July 12, 2019
The rise of Andersen. Five key things to know…
- Andersen began at FC Midtjylland before joining FC Twente’s youth set-up.
- He would make 50 appearances for the senior team, registering four goals.
- Sampdoria would bring him to Serie A in 2017 and he’d go on to play 42 times.
- Andersen is yet to represent the senior Danish team at international level.
- He becomes Lyon’s sixth acquisition this summer following the arrival of Juninho.