PSV Eindhoven forward Luuk de Jong has landed in Andalusia ahead of a proposed transfer to La Liga side Sevilla.
It was confirmed by the Eredivisie club last week that their Dutch forward would leave the Philips Stadion this summer, and he now looks destined to become Julen Lopetegui’s fifth signing this transfer window.
De Jong to Sevilla: Five things to know…
- Reports emerged last week that a £11.2m fee had been agreed for De Jong between both parties.
- The 28-year-old netted 32 goals last term but it yet to prove his goalscoring worth outside the Netherlands.
- De Jong has previously endured underwhelming spells with both Borussia Monchengladbach and Newcastle United.
- He now looks set to try his luck in La Liga, but that could signal the end of Wissam Ben Yedder’s Sevilla career.
- The Frenchman is believed to have a £36m release clause and Man Utd are tipped to trigger it.
De Jong, who scored 112 goals and notched 57 assists during his 204 appearances for the Farmers, will become the second striker to join the Spanish club this summer after Munas Dabbur completed his move from Red Bull Salzburg.
Speculation had been gaining serious traction regarding De Jong’s proposed move to the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, and that now looks set to transpire after he was filmed arriving at the San Pablo Airport ahead of his supposedly imminent transfer.
— ElDesmarque Sevilla FC (@eldesmarque_sfc) June 30, 2019
Los Rojiblancos recently appointed former Real Madrid manager Lopetegui to the helm, and the club are currently in the process of overhauling their squad with four confirmed recruitments already joining the ranks in Seville.
The club have signed Joan Jordan from Eibar, Dabbur from Red Bull Salzburg, Maximilian Wober from Ajax and Diego Carlos from Nantes.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Ben Yedder to Man Utd?
Manchester United have been heavily linked with a move for Sevilla forward Wissam Ben Yedder, and that deal could now be about to materialises as De Jong’s move edges closer.
There is a growing uncertainty about the future of Romelu Lukaku at Old Trafford, with the Belgium international supposedly keen on a move to Serie A, and Inter Milan favourites for his signature.
That means Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would need to find an adequate successor to the mountainous forward, and France international, Ben Yedder, is believed to be the target.
La Colina de Nervión, a Seville-based publication, have now claimed that the Red Devils have everything agreed with the player, who is thought to have a £36m buyout clause.