Jurgen Klopp has named his 23-man squad for this month’s Fifa Club World Cup in Qatar.
The Reds’ first game in the tournament is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 18, less than 24 hours after their Carabao Cup clash with Aston Villa at Anfield.
Liverpool’s Club World Cup squad: Five things to know…
- Liverpool are due to kick-off their Club World Cup bid on December 18.
- That comes less than 24 hours after their Carabao Cup clash with Aston Villa.
- Klopp has named established stars Van Dijk, Alisson and Salah among his squad to head to Qatar.
- The likes of Brewster, Elliott and Jones will also travel with Klopp.
- Caoimhin Kelleher, Sepp Van den Berg, Herbie Kane, Pedro Chirivella, Yasser Larouci, Billy Koumetio and Leighton Clarkson have been left behind for the Villa clash.
As such, the fixture clash has caused a great deal of speculation as to how Klopp would split his squad for the two games but with the likes of Rhian Brewster, Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott all heading to Qatar alongside established stars such as Virgil van Dijk, Mohamed Salah and Alisson, it’s clear the Club World Cup has taken priority.
The only players left behind from Liverpool’s penalty shootout win over Arsenal in the previous round of the Carabao Cup are Caoimhin Kelleher, Sepp Van den Berg, Herbie Kane, Pedro Chirivella, Yasser Larouci, Billy Koumetio and Leighton Clarkson.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Joel Matip and Fabinho have been left out of the Club World Cup squad as they continue their recoveries from injury, although players suffering from injury and illness can be replaced up to 24 hours before kick-off.
While Klopp will head to Qatar to try and win the Club World Cup for the first time in Liverpool’s history, Under-23 coach Neil Critchley is set to take charge of their tie with Aston Villa.
Liverpool’s Club World Cup squad
Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Jones, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott, Williams.