Bayer Munich can take another big step towards an eighth consecutive Bundesliga title when they travel to Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
Hans-Dieter Flick’s side are currently seven points clear at the top of the table with just five games remaining, meaning they are just three wins away from the title. Last weekend’s 5-0 win over Fortuna Dusseldorf extended Bayern’s winning run to nine games in all competitions which included a Champions League victory over Chelsea and a title-deciding win against Borussia Dortmund.
But Saturday’s game will not be a walkover, with Leverkusen still fighting to secure Champions League football for next season. Leverkusen are currently fifth, only behind fourth-placed Borussia Monchengladbach on goal difference in what has been the tightest Bundesliga season for years.
Peter Bosz’s side took a hit when they lost 4-1 to Wolfsburg in gameweek 28, but they bounced back last weekend with a close win over Freiburg. With Gladbach playing on Friday evening, Leverkusen will know what is required of them come kick-off at the BayArena.
Where to watch Bayer Leverkusen v Bayern Munich on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Soccer 1
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Bayer Leverkusen & Bayern Munich’s confirmed line-ups:
- Bayer Leverkusen: Hradecky; S Bender, Tapsoba, Dragovic; Amiri, Aranguiz, Baumgartlinger, Bellarabi; Diaby, Bailey, Alario.
- Bayern Munich: Neuer; Pavard, Alaba, Davies, Davies; Kimmich, Goretzka; Coman, Muller, Gnabry; Lewandowski.
Kai Havertz came off against Freiburg with an injury and misses the clash with Bayern due to muscular problems.
Here’s how we’ll start things off in the BayArena today! 💪
— Bayer 04 Leverkusen (@bayer04_en) June 6, 2020
Players to watch:
- Bayer Leverkusen: Kai Havertz. It seems every time Leverkusen are mentioned this season, the focus always turns to Havertz, but this weekend it is especially relevant. Scoring yet again last weekend against Freiburg, from a tight angle, Havertz took his total Bundesliga tally for the season to 11. Nine of those goals have come post-winter
break, with only Robert Lewandowski and Erling Braut Haaland scoring more in that time (both 10). Adding his four assists, only Jadon Sancho (15) has been directly involved in more goals than Havertz, who has only increased the interest in his services. Havertz has long been linked with a move away from Leverkusen, and Saturday will see him go up against one of the club’s reportedly trying to sign him. And according to Sport Bild, Havertz is set to make a decision surrounding his future soon. Could Saturday be his final Bayern audition, persuading them to fork out the high fee Leverkusen will demand?
- Bayern Munich: Thiago Alcantara. Bayern have continued their march to the Bundesliga title in the past few weeks, but they have done so without one of their best players. Spanish midfielder Thiago has missed the past three games with a groin injury, featuring only in the 2-0 win over Union Berlin in mid-May. But the 29-year-old is back in training and could be pushed back into the Bayern team on Saturday. Although many have known of Thiago’s quality for a long time, the former Barcelona man seems to have taken his game to another level this season, and has been vital in the middle of the pitch for Bayern. Thiago is one of the best passers in the Bundesliga, averaging 82.56 successful passes per 90 minutes this season, with an accuracy of 90.65%. He also averages 2.31 tackles per 90 and 3.54 completed take-ons, an all-round unit.
Scoreline prediction: Bayer Leverkusen 1-2 Bayern Munich
Bundesliga 2019/20 recent form:
- Bayer Leverkusen: WLWWW
- Bayern Munich: WWWWW