“He dives a lot” — Kalvin Phillips accuses Wilfred Zaha of frequent simulation
Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips has hit out at Wilfred Zaha, accusing the Crystal Palace forward of ‘diving a lot’.
The two players met on Monday night in a match fraught with some very robust and old-school challenges at Selhurst Park, in which the spoils were shared after a goalless stalemate.
The result leaves Jesse Marsch’s men just five points above the relegation zone, with 18th-placed Everton boasting a game in hand on them.
In what proved a fiery showdown in south London, in which Zaha was consistently targeted by some ‘heavy’ challenges from the Leeds players, winning four fouls, there has been some backlash emanating from West Yorkshire.
Bet365 welcome offer: Bet £10 & Get £30 in Free Bets
Not signed up to bet365 yet? Here's how to claim one of the best bookmaker welcome offers around...
- Open an account (here's a link)
- Make a qualifying deposit of between £5* and £10*
- Claim the offer to receive three times your deposit in 'Free Bets'.
- To release your 'Free Bets', place qualifying bets to the value of your qualifying deposit and allow those bets to settle.
- Your 'Free Bets' will become available shortly after your qualifying bets have settled
- To use your 'Free Bets', select 'Use bet credits' in the bet slip.
18+ only. New Customers only. Bet £10* & Get £30* in Free Bets. Sign up, deposit between £5* and £10* to your account and bet365 will give you three times that value in Free Bets when you place qualifying bets to the same value and they are settled. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits. Min odds/bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. T&Cs, time limits & exclusions apply.
There was a coming together between Zaha and Raphinha in the first half as tempers threatened to boil over, and Phillips has now continued the bad blood following the contest, accusing Palace’s attacking fulcrum of ‘diving a lot’.
“He is a good player and we defended against him well as a team,” Phillips told BBC Radio 5 Live Sport.
“The ref complained at us for fouling him, but I think he dives a lot, to be honest with you.”
Paddy Power betting offer: Bet £20 and get it back as cash if it loses
- Follow THIS LINK (or click the image below) to open a new account using promo code YSKWEX
- Deposit a minimum of £10 using a card.
- Place a Sportsbook bet up to £20 at min odds of 2.0 (Evs). For the purposes of this promotion, your first ever placed bet will be counted as the qualifying bet.
- If your qualifying bet is settled as a loser we will refund your stake in CASH (maximum £20).
- Qualifying requirements must be completed within 30 days of account opening
Luke Ayling, tasked with man-marking Zaha, was perhaps a tad fortunate to avoid referee Darren England’s notebook after bringing down the Ivory Coast international on more than one occasion, and Palace manager Patrick Vieira lauded his player’s temperament for keeping his composure.
“I was happy Wilf kept his cool because it looked like they planned to stop him by fouling him, but I wasn’t worried,” said Vieira. “That will not be the first time teams try to frustrate him.
“I think he is used to it. But yes, I was angry. There were too many incidents.
“This is the way they play. But Wilf showed a lot of maturity and tried to concentrate on the game.”
- Not signed up to FansBet? You could get a 200% bonus up to £200 by following THIS LINK (18+ only, Ts&Cs apply. Be Gamble Aware)
- Live stream today's football
- Football accumulator tips