FC Koln resume their goal of securing a Europa League spot when they host Mainz 05 on Sunday evening.
The Billy Goats are currently 10th in the Bundesliga but just five points behind Schalke, who occupy the final Europa League spot. Koln’s chances of making a Uefa competition for just the second time in nearly three decades were dampened by a tough fixture list pre-break which saw them face (and lose to) Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach. But wins over Schalke, Paderborn and Hertha Berlin mean they are still playing for something.
Opponents Mainz also have something to play for: Bundesliga survival. They are just four points ahead of Fortuna Dusseldorf in the relegation play-off spot and were recently forced to endure a tough fixture themselves. Theirs included back-to-back defeats against Monchengladbach and Bayern, but a draw with Dusseldorf in their most recent game keeps Mainz in control of their top-flight fate.
Where to watch FC Koln vs Mainz 05 on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1 (kick-off 17:00 UK time)
- US: N/A
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Koln vs Mainz live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware. Any odds or promotions within this article are accurate at time of production (17:00, 15/05/20)
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
FC Koln vs Mainz 05 confirmed line-ups:
📝 TEAM NEWS TIME! Markus #Gisdol makes three changes to the #effzeh side that took on Gladbach, as Sebastiaan #Bornauw, Noah #Katterbach and Jan #Thielmann return to the line-up! 🔴⚪
— 1. FC Cologne (@fckoeln_en) May 17, 2020
- FC Koln: Horn; Schmitz, Bornauw, Leistner, Katterbach; Hector, Skhiri; Kainz, Uth, Thielmann; Cordoba
It’s three changes for Koln. Left-back Noah Katterbach and centre-back Sebastiaan Bornauw are in, as is forward Jan Thielmann.
— Mainz 05 English (@Mainz05en) May 17, 2020
- Mainz 05: Muller; Juste, Fernades, Niakhate; Baku, Kunde, Boetius, Caricol; Onisiwo, Ji, Quaison
Mainz goalkeeper Robin Zentner misses the match having suffered a season-ending knee injury against Fortuna Dusseldorf. Jean-Philippe Mateta is also absent through suspension, after being sent off in the last game. Former Sunderland forward Ji Dong-won makes his first start in the Bundesliga for Mainz after signing last summer.
Players to watch:
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) May 15, 2020
- FC Koln: Sunday’s game sees Jhon Cordoba go up against his former side, having scored 10 goals in 51 Bundesliga games during a two-year spell at Mainz. The Colombian has matched that record in this season alone for Koln, reaching double figures in 21 matches. But what makes this season even more remarkable for Cordoba is that in his first Bundesliga campaign with Koln, he failed to score in 18 matches as the Billy Goats were relegated. A revival occurred in the second tier last season, and he stands tall as Koln’s top scorer, five more than any other teammate. Although he now faces the task of scoring against his former side, something he is yet to do in three matches.
- Mainz 05: Despite their low standing in the table, Mainz have been blessed by one of the top scorers in the Bundesliga this season: Robin Quaison. The Swedish striker has 12 goals in 24 games so far, and is only outscored in the Bundesliga by Robert Lewandowski, Timo Werner and Jadon Sancho. Adding his two assists, Quaison has been directly involved in 41.18% of Mainz’s Bundesliga strikes this season despite never actually playing as the club’s centre-forward, either starting on the wing or behind another striker.
Scoreline prediction: FC Koln 2-1 Mainz 05
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and most recent form (after gameweek 25):
- FC Koln: LWWWL
- Mainz 05: DWLDW