Fortuna Dusseldorf’s quest for Bundesliga safety takes them to FC Koln on Sunday evening.
Uwe Rosler’s team are currently in the relegation play-off spot, four points behind 15th-placed Mainz having missed what they would have felt was a good opportunity to close the gap. Fortuna took on basement club Paderborn last weekend but were frustrated in their goalless draw, hitting the woodwork on three occasions (more than any other team in gameweek 26).
Had they won, Fortuna would have been just a point behind Mainz who fought back from 2-0 down to earn a draw against Sunday’s opponents Koln. The Billy Goats haven’t had the greatest of Bundesliga seasons overall but caught fire mid-December and won eight of 10 games up till March.
After last weekend’s lost lead, however, it does not appear likely they’ll trouble the European qualification spots. There is now a six-point gap between Koln and Wolfsburg in the final Europa League place. Considering the form of those above them, this may be too much to recover with just eight games remaining, even with a win this weekend.
Where to watch Koln v Fortuna Dusseldorf on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Sports 1
Where to live stream the game:
UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Koln vs Fortuna Dusseldorf live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Koln & Fortuna Dusseldorf’s most recent line-ups:
- Koln (vs Mainz): Horn; Schmitz, Leistner, Bornauw, Katterbach; Hector, Skhiri; Thielmann, Uth, Kainz; Cordoba.
- Fortuna Dusseldorf (vs Paderborn): Kastenmeier; Hoffmann, Ayhan*, Gießelmann; Zimmermann, Stoger, Sobottka, Suttner; Berisha, Thommy; Karaman.
Kaan Ayhan is suspended after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season last time out, so could be replaced in the back three by Mathias Jorgensen.
Players to watch:
- Koln: Mark Uth endured a tough first half of the season at parent club Schalke, failing to score or record an assist in eight games for the Royal Blues. But after a January loan move to Koln, the Uth is on fire. In all eight of his appearances for Koln, he has been directly involved in either a goal (5 overall) or an assist (4). Last time out against Mainz, Uth opened the scoring from the penalty spot and only Erling Haaland (12), Jadon Sancho (11) and Kai Havertz (10) have been directly involved in more Bundesliga goals in 2020 than the German’s nine.
- Fortuna Dusseldorf: With Ayhan missing out through suspension, former Huddersfield Town centre-back Mathias Jorgensen may make an appearance for the English football fans watching. He is better known by the nickname, Zanka, which appeared on the back of his shirt. It was given to him by a former youth coach named Johan Lange and is a reference to Sanka, a character from the 1993 movie ‘Cool Runnings’ about a Jamaican bobsled team. How or why is unclear, but according to ‘Zanka’, “it just caught on.” Anyway, he spent two seasons in England with Huddersfield while they were in the Premier League, leaving for Fenerbahce following the Terriers’ relegation last summer. But Zanka’s time in Turkey was short-lived, spending just the first half of the 2019/20 campaign at Fenerbahce before joining Fortuna on loan in January, with a reported option to buy. Since moving to Germany, he has started just once for Fortuna, a 4-1 defeat to Wolfsburg, but the Danish centre-back could be at the heart of the club’s fight for survival.
Scoreline prediction: Koln 1-1 Fortuna Dusseldorf
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and recent form:
- Koln: DLWWW
- Fortuna Dusseldorf: DDDWL
1. Bayern Munich (58)
2. Borussia Dortmund (54)
3. Gladbach (52)
4. RB Leipzig (51)
The defending champions increase their lead at the top of the table to four points. pic.twitter.com/AE5dZRxl82
— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) May 17, 2020