The Champions League returns on Friday night with Juventus needing a victory on home turf to overcome the 1-0 defeat suffered by Lyon back in March.
Of the eight round-of-16 clashes this season, only four managed completion before football came to a halt, so the remaining games will conclude this weekend before the winners jet off to Portugal for a mini-tournament to determine this year’s champions.
Maurizio Sarri may have won his first piece of domestic silverware as Juve clinched the Serie A title last month, but he faces an uphill task to overturn the one-goal deficit in this fixture after Lucas Tousart’s finish separated the sides in the first leg.
Lyon had an underwhelming season by their standards, finishing seventh in Ligue 1 before the division was concluded prematurely, but they have had recent match practice in their penalty shootout defeat to PSG in the Coupe de la Ligue final last week.
It is all to play for in Turin, but who will come out on top? Real Madrid or Manchester City await the winners.
Where to watch Juventus v Lyon on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 2
- US: CBS All Access
Where to live stream Juventus v Lyon:
US: The FuboTV* platform host a number of channels broadcasting the 2019/20 Champions League games. Among those is Galavision, who are showing Juventus v Lyon. To watch it, you can can take advantage of FuboTV’s seven-day free trial by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- Select ‘Start Your Free Trial’ and enter details.
- Log in and pick your desired channel to watch.
*Geo restrictions apply. FuboTV is currently available in the United States, Canada and Spain. Packages and pricing differ per country.
Juventus & Lyon’s starting line-ups:
- Juventus: Szczesny; Cuadrado, De Ligt, Bonucci, Sandro; Rabiot, Bentancur, Pjanic; Bernarderschi, Ronaldo, Higuain.
- Lyon: Lopes; Denayer, Marcelo, Marcal; Dubois, Caqueret, Guimaraes, Aouar, Cornet; Ekambi, Depay.
Players to watch:
Juventus: Drafted in to help secure Champions League football, Cristiano Ronaldo will be relishing the chance to overturn a one-goal deficit and fire Juve to the quarter-finals. There, he could face his former club Real Madrid, depending on the outcome of their showdown with Man City. Having turned 35 this year, the Portugal legend will be determined to add further silverware to his pristine collection before his career comes to an end. And well, given he has netted 35 goals this season, that is certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.
Lyon: ‘The Kids’ put in a mature performance in the reverse fixture, but they will know the job is not done yet. Juventus have been formidable at home this season, so Garcia may feel his side will need to get an away goal to stand a chance. Fortunately for him, club captain Memphis Depay is back in action and will be eager to make up for lost time. The Dutchman has missed most of the campaign, but with 14 goals in 19 games this season, he is a menacing threat when called upon and Sarri will need to approach this match with caution.
Scoreline prediction: Juventus 3-1 Lyon
- In the knockout stage, Lyon are winless in their last 10 away games (D2 L8), failing to score in six of those games. Their last away knockout win was in February 2006 against PSV.
- Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 18 goals in his last 12 home Champions League knockout matches, with this run including four hat-tricks, including one in the second leg of last season’s Last 16 match with Atlético Madrid.
- After losing the first leg of a Champions League knockout match, Juventus have progressed from five of their 11 previous ties, including the most recent occasion it occurred against Atlético Madrid in the Last 16 last season (0-2 first leg, 3-0 second leg).
Stats courtesy of Opta.
Champions League 2019/20 recent form:
- Juventus: LWWWW
- Lyon: WDLWL