Jurgen Klopp believes the teams in Pot 2 and Pot 3 for the Champions League group stage draw have never been stronger as Liverpool wait to learn their European fate.
The Champions League groups will be decided on Thursday evening when the draw takes place in Monaco.
What is Liverpool’s worst case scenario? Five things to know…
- Liverpool are in Pot 1 because they won the Champions League last season.
- That means they will avoid Spanish champions Barcelona and Italian giants Juventus.
- However, they could still face Real Madrid or Atletico Madrid in the group.
- A potential group of death awaits if Liverpool draw one of the Madrid clubs and Lyon or Inter from Pot 3.
- RB Leipzig are perhaps the most difficult potential opponents from Pot 4.
Reigning champions Liverpool are in Pot 1 alongside the likes of Manchester City, Barcelona and Juventus, as well as Europa League winners Chelsea.
Tottenham, who lost to Liverpool in last season’s final, are among a host of strong teams in Pot 2, which also includes Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.
Meanwhile, Lyon and Inter Milan are in Pot 3, and Klopp believes the strength of the sides Liverpool could come up against will make for a difficult group stage.
“We haven’t really thought about the Champions League, but at one point someone told me a little bit about the groups and what could happen and I don’t think there was ever a stronger Pot 2,” Klopp said.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“It is just crazy. They should all be in Pot 1, but there is not enough space there.”
Atalanta, Galatasaray and Lille are also in Pot 4, making the potential for a group of death all the more likely for Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea.
Klopp went on to suggest spectators are set for an “incredible” group stage because of the quality in each pot.
He added: “I don’t think there was ever a stronger Pot 3. If people really think about this kind of Super League, then you don’t need it. That’s it. Then Pot 4 you can get RB Leipzig – wow! The groups will be incredible.”