Zinedine Zidane has said that conceding seven goals “can’t happen” after his Real Madrid side were annihilated 7-3 by fierce rivals Atletico Madrid.
Los Blancos have struggled thus far on their tour of the US and found themselves 5-0 down to Atletico before half-time, with Diego Costa scoring a hat-trick. Despite winning the second half 3-2, the damage had already been done.
Cause for concern? 5 things to know about Real’s pre-season…
- Zinedine Zidane was reappointed at the end of last season, as Madrid gave him a full pre-season to rebuild.
- They have spent over £300 million this summer, signing the likes of Eden Hazard and Luka Jovic.
- However, they were beaten 3-1 by Bayern Munich and scraped past Arsenal on penalties after going 2-0 down.
- Worryingly, results and performances have been far better when the outgoing Gareth Bale has been on the pitch.
- Real next play against Spurs on Tuesday.
Speaking to reporters after the game, Zidane said: “They scored seven goals, it can’t happen. That is also known to the players, who are disappointed. You don’t have to spin it over. It’s a pre-season game. They’ve been better at everything. There is nothing more to talk about.
“We are preparing a season and being calm. We have to be on August 17, with the first league game. For now, we have lacked things for sure tonight.”
Madrid kick off their La Liga season away at Celta Vigo next month. They will be hoping to improve on their disappointing 2018/19 campaign in which they suffered a shock defeat to Ajax in the Champions League while having to watch rivals Barcelona walk the title.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“We lacked everything” – the story of a remarkable night in New Jersey
Zidane and his men have been disappointing on tour so far, but to say this result was unexpected is an understatement.
Atletico were 3-0 up before 20-minute mark: Diego Costa scored in the first minute before record-signing Joao Felix and Correa put the game out of reach of Real before it had really begun. Costa added two more to complete his hat-trick before half-time, scoring again in the 51st minute before single-handedly starting a mass brawl in the 65th minute which led to him and Dani Carvajal getting sent off.
It wasn’t until Atletico bagged their sixth that Real woke up, as Nacho, Benzema and Hernandez scored with a Vitolo goal sandwiched in the middle.
Zidane added: “What happened is that we entered the game very badly. A high-level competition, we entered very badly.
“At eight minutes we were down 2-0. There was no response from us to change something. The first part was difficult. We never entered the game. We have lacked everything. Especially intensity.”