Inter Milan have completed the signing of Romelu Lukaku from Manchester United.
The clubs agreed a £73.9m fee on Thursday and Lukaku has signed a five-year contract with Inter.
Inter sign Lukaku from Man Utd: Five key things to know…
- Lukaku has been linked with a move to Italy all summer.
- At one stage he was mooted to be part of a deal involving Juventus’ Paulo Dybala.
- But Inter have won the race to sign Lukaku ahead of their Serie A rivals.
- The Nerazzurri have parted ways with £73.9m to sign the Belgian.
- Lukaku scored 42 goals in 96 appearances across all competitions for United.
United had been linked with Paulo Dybala and Mario Mandzukic as possible replacements for Lukaku amid suggestions the striker almost moved to Juventus over Inter.
However, the Red Devils were unable to secure any attacking signings before Thursday’s English transfer deadline.
Lukaku found the net 27 times in his debut season at Old Trafford but scored significantly fewer goals last term, finishing the campaign with just 15 across all competitions.
Romelu Lukaku in the Premier League:
• 23 goals
Right foot: Left foot:
• 31 goals • 57 goals
The 𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮 player to score 20+ goals with each since he made his competition debut. pic.twitter.com/RcRUlnUk8b
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) August 7, 2019
The 26-year-old has been training with his former club Anderlecht in recent days while waiting for his transfer to Inter to go through.
It is believed new Inter boss Antonio Conte attempted to sign Lukaku at Chelsea before the Belgium international moved to United in 2017.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“Inter were the only club I wanted, because Inter is not for everyone,” Lukaku told Inter’s official website. “I’m here to bring the Nerazzurri back to the top.”