Iker Casillas has named his top five goalkeepers in world football at the minute, and there’s no room for Alisson.
Casillas, 41, is widely regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, enjoying two decades of trophy-laden success between the sticks.
The three-time Champions League winner has now been giving his thoughts on some of the game’s current best shot-stoppers.
Asked by 433 to give his top five, Casillas listed: 1. Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid), 2. Ederson (Manchester City), 3. Jan Oblak (Atletico Madrid), 4. Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona), 5. Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich).
Paddy Power betting offer: Bet £20 and get it back as cash if your first bet loses
- Follow THIS LINK (or click the image below) to open a new account using promo code YSKWEX
- Deposit a minimum of £10 using a card.
- Place a Sportsbook bet on Football. For the purposes of this promotion, your first ever settled bet will be counted as the qualifying bet.
- Qualifying requirements must be completed within 90 days of account opening.
18+ only. New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made via Cards will be eligible for the promotion (Apple Pay excluded). T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly. For more information, visit begambleaware.org.
Courtois was heavily influential as Real Madrid beat Liverpool in the Champions League final back in May. The Belgian produced several key saves as Los Blancos kept a lid on Liverpool, winning the Man of the Match award in the process.
Ederson, meanwhile, has been a beacon of consistency in goal for Manchester City since signing in 2017. The Brazilian gloveman has won three Premier League Golden Gloves and continues to be a defensive fulcrum for Pep Guardiola.
Jan Oblak has proven himself as one of the most skilful and dextrous shot-stoppers in world football. He won La Liga’s ‘Player of the Season’ award during the club’s title-winning campaign in 2020/21, which underlined his importance to Diego Simeone’s side.
Bet365 welcome offer: How to get up to £50 in free bets
- Open an account (here's a link)
- Make a qualifying deposit of between £5* and £10*
- Claim the offer to receive five times your deposit in 'Free Bets'.
- To release your 'Free Bets', place qualifying bets to the value of the your qualifying deposit and allow those bets to settle.
- Your 'Free Bets' will become available shortly after your qualifying bets have settled
- To use your 'Free Bets', select 'Use bet credits' in the bet slip.
18+ only. Please play responsibly. For more information, visit Be Gamble Aware. Time limits and Ts&Cs apply (see above and Bet365's sign-up page). Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake.
Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Manuel Neuer complete the list. Despite Neuer being Germany’s No 1, Casillas selected Ter Stegen ahead of the Bayern captain, which is likely to cause a few double takes from scrolling fans on social media.
At 36, Neuer continues to be a gargantuan presence in goal for both Bayern Munich and the national team. Ter Stegen, though, has started the season in good form. Barca have conceded just once, while their German ‘keeper has prevented 2.6 goals, the third-highest in La Liga.