New Barcelona signing Antoine Griezmann has said that this summer was the right time for him to join the Catalan club.
Barca announced the signing of Griezmann on Friday, and the French international said that he has no regrets with the timing of his move.
Griezmann finally joins Barca: Five things to know…
- Antoine Griezmann signed for Atletico Madrid from Real Sociedad in 2014.
- The Frenchman scored 133 goals in all competitions for Atleti.
- But he announced his imminent departure in May, ending his four-year spell with the club.
- And now Griezmann has been confirmed as a Barcelona player.
- The striker joins Barcelona on a five-year deal with a buyout clause of €800m.
He said in a video on Barcelona’s Twitter: “When I was a boy, my dad taught me that trains don’t come around just once.
“Now it’s time to take on the challenge of a new destination. Finally, our paths cross.
“I’ll defend the Barca colours with all my determination and commitment. It’s our time.”
✌️ Life is all about second chances. pic.twitter.com/5ArFiaP2ht
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) July 12, 2019
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
The transfer saga ends
Griezmann to Barcelona has been in the making for around a year now.
It was heavily suspected that the French forward would leave Atletico after the World Cup in Russia, where he scored in the final and came home with a winners’ medal.
However, Griezmann announced he was staying with Simeone and co. for another season. The Frenchman then completed his U-turn in May by confirming that he would be leaving the club at the end of the season.
Atletico have already signed Joao Felix as a replacement for the Barca-bound star.