Antoine Griezmann has defended France teammate Olivier Giroud following Karim Benzema’s ‘Go-Kart’ jibe.
Benzema caused a stir on Sunday when he was asked to compare himself and Chelsea striker Giroud, responding: “You don’t compare Formula 1 with karting, and I am being nice.”
Is Benzema right about Giroud? Five things to know…
- Benzema hasn’t played for France since 2015 but prior to that, he had managed 27 goals in 81 caps.
- Giroud has scored 39 goals in 97 caps for Les Bleus and helped them win the 2018 World Cup.
- But Benzema has thrived at club level, winning four Champions League titles with Real Madrid.
- The Real Madrid striker compared Giroud to a “Go-Kart” when asked about his compatriot.
- Fellow French forward Griezmann has defended Giroud, claiming his 2018 World Cup triumph is “important”.
The Real Madrid star then later doubled down on his comments, adding: “About Giroud, I simply told the truth.
“But we didn’t remember what I said about him, especially about what he brings to the French national team.
“We just remembered the moment when I said I was F1 and he was karting. That’s what I think, that’s the truth, and that’s how it is.”
Since making his senior international debut in 2014, Griezmann has played alongside both Benzema and Giroud, winning the World Cup alongside the latter in 2018.
Despite not scoring in Russia, Giroud was credited with playing a key tactical role for Didier Deschamps side, acting as a target man and foil for the more dynamic Griezmann and Kylian Mbappe.
Benzema, meanwhile, has been exiled from the Les Bleus set-up since 2015 after a feud with Mathieu Valbuena, missing the World Cup and France’s Euro 2016 campaign — where they finished runner-up to Portugal — in the process.
And while Griezmann has tried to distance himself from the debate, he did admit Giroud’s World Cup medal counts in his favour.
“I can’t answer all that, that could get me into trouble,” Griezmann said on Twitch.
“I love Olivier Giroud, he’s a good player and he helped us win the World Cup. And that’s important in life.”