Werder Bremen’s fight for their Bundesliga future continues when they travel to Freiburg on Saturday afternoon.
Florian Kohfeldt’s team went so close to securing European football last season, missing out on a Europa League spot by a single point, but the 2019/20 campaign has been disastrous. With nine games still to play, Bremen are in 17th, five points behind Fortuna Dusseldorf in the relegation play-off spot and nine from complete safety.
Bremen have managed just four wins from their 25 games so far and have the worst defence in the Bundesliga going by goals conceded, something that was evident in their 4-1 defeat to Bayer Leverkusen on Monday.
Meanwhile, opponents Freiburg are on a European push of their own. Currently, they are seventh and just two points behind Wolfsburg in the final Europa League spot.
Their hopes were boosted last weekend by a hard-fought 1-1 draw with RB Leipzig, although they may feel as though it was two points dropped having taken the lead and seen a potential injury-time winner ruled out by VAR for offside.
When these sides last met in November, Freiburg had to come from behind twice to earn a 2-2 draw, but form is on their side.
Where to watch Freiburg v Werder Bremen on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 3
- US: Fox Soccer Plus
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Freiburg vs Werder Bremen live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Freiburg vs Werder Bremen confirmed line-ups:
— SC Freiburg (@scfreiburg) May 23, 2020
- Freiburg: Schwolow; Schmid, Gulde, Holer, Haberer, Gunter; Sallai, Koch, Hofler, Grifo; Petersen.
Freiburg defenders Dominique Heintz and Philipp Lienhart are replaced by Lucas Holer and Janik Haberer.
Florian #Kohfeldt makes two changes from Monday night 🔄
— SV Werder Bremen EN (@werderbremen_en) May 23, 2020
- Werder Bremen: Pavlenka; Gebre Selassie, Molsander, Veljkovic, Vogt, Friedl; Bargfrede, Eggestein; Bittencourt; Rashica, Sargent
Bremen make two changes to the previous line-up that lost to Leverkusen. Midfielder Davy Klassen comes in, as does American attacker Josh Sargent.
Players to watch:
- Freiburg: In the 2-2 draw between these two sides in November, Nils Petersen was Freiburg’s hero, scoring both of their goals including the injury-time equaliser. The German striker will be hoping for a similar return this time around, albeit without the dropped points against his former side. Petersen spent three years in total with Werder Bremen, first on loan from Bayern Munich before making the move permanent, but struggled to make a big impact, scoring just 18 goals in 72 matches. Since his move to Freiburg, Petersen has been scoring for fun, with 84 goals in 171 games. Last November he overtook Joachim Low as the club’s all-time record goalscorer and he also replaced Papiss Cisse as their top-scorer in the Bundesliga. However, since then he has managed just two goals in 15 games and none in the past eight. What better time to get back on track.
- Werder Bremen: There really hasn’t been much positivity around Werder Bremen this season. Their time in the Bundesliga looks to be running out. But on Saturday, they can depend on Freiburg’s bane Leonardo Bittencourt to kickstart a fight for survival. The 26-year-old, on loan from Hoffenheim, has scored 20 Bundesliga goals for five clubs. Just two of those have been scored for Bremen this season, but overall six have come against Freiburg in nine matches, making up 30% of his total Bundesliga goals. Perhaps even more encouraging for Bremen ahead of the weekend, four of his six goals against Freiburg have come in four matches at the Schwarzwald-Stadion, which is Saturday’s venue.
Scoreline prediction: Freiburg 2-0 Werder Bremen
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and recent form:
- Freiburg: DWLLD
- Werder Bremen: LDLLL
1. Bayern Munich (58)
2. Borussia Dortmund (54)
3. Gladbach (52)
4. RB Leipzig (51)
The defending champions increase their lead at the top of the table to four points. pic.twitter.com/AE5dZRxl82
— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) May 17, 2020