Bayer Leverkusen’s fight for a Champions League place continues on Friday night, when they travel to face Freiburg.
In terms of a top-four spot finish, Peter Bosz’s side previously held their destiny in their own hands. They were fourth place less than a week ago, but a 4-1 humiliation at home to Wolfsburg on Tuesday night allowed Borussia Monchengladbach to overtake them once again, albeit only on goal difference.
Leverkusen’s defeat also had a negative impact on Freiburg, whose 3-3 draw with Eintracht Frankfurt pushed them further behind Wolfsburg in the race for Europa League football.
Freiburg had twice taken the lead in Frankfurt and held a 3-1 advantage going into the final 15 minutes, but allowed their hosts to get back into the match and ultimately share the points.
But which team will return to winning ways on Friday? And will the Bundesliga’s unusual post-break record continue, which has seen just three home wins from 22 games so far?
22 games have now been played since the Bundesliga returned, the home team record stands at:
𝐖3 𝐃7 𝐋12 𝐆𝐅27 𝐆𝐀44 𝐏𝐓𝐒16
No fans? Big problem? pic.twitter.com/01QGy7WUhh
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) May 26, 2020
Where to watch Freiburg v Bayer Leverkusen on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Sports 2
Where to live stream the game:
UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Freiburg vs Bayer Leverkusen live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Freiburg vs Bayer Leverkusen confirmed lineups:
- Freiburg: Schwolow; Koch, Lienhart, Heintz; Kubler, Hofler, Sallai, Gunter; Holer, Petersen, Grifo
- Bayer Leverkusen (vs Wolfsburg): Hradecky; Tah, S Bender, Dragovic; Amiri, Aranguiz, B’Gartlinger, Sinkgraven; Wirtz, Havertz, Bailey
Players to watch:
- Freiburg: Vincenzo Grifo. Freiburg are still awaiting their first win post-break, drawing two and losing one of their three matches so far, but Grifo has been one of their standout players. The two-cap Italian international has been directly involved in three goals in the past three games, scoring once and adding two assists. Last time out against Eintracht, Grifo recorded one of each, opening the scoring after half an hour, rifling past Kevin Trapp from just inside the area, and setting up Lucas Holer’s effort with an excellent defence-splitting pass. During his first spell with Freiburg, in which he helped the club gain promotion, Grifo was dubed the ‘Ronaldo of Bundesliga 2’. Whoever came up with that, Grifo does not know. But he describes it as an “honour” nonetheless. Ironically, it is thought to be based on his prowess from free-kicks. Although, unlike Cristiano, Grifo has been prolific from dead-ball situations more recently, scoring six in the 2015/16 campaign. He also wears the No.32 shirt, believing it brings him luck whenever it used in and out of football, a superstition he previously admitted was aided by his relegation with Dynamo Dresden in 2013/14 when he wore the no.19.
- Bayer Leverkusen: Florian Wirtz, who turned 17 this month, is making his second-ever start. On his first, he became the youngest player ever to start a Bundesliga game for Leverkusen. “I have been able to accompany the 2003 year [players] over the past few years and think that there are some interesting players,” Germany’s u17 coach Christian Wuck recently told Goal. “Flo is certainly one of the top three. He can go a long way if he continues like this. And if the way leads to the senior national team, that would be a really great story. Flo is incredibly intelligent. He recognizes situations on the field within a very short time and draws the right conclusions. What makes him so special and what sets him apart from many other youth players is his excellent training in basic technology. He is two-footed and has incredibly good technique.”
Scoreline prediction: Freiburg 1-3 Bayer Leverkusen
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and recent form:
- Freiburg: DLDWL
- Bayer Leverkusen: LWWWD