Frank Lampard has confirmed Mason Mount is in contention for Chelsea’s clash against Liverpool on Sunday.
Mount was withdrawn from the Blues’ 1-0 Champions League defeat to Valencia in midweek after turning his right ankle and was considered a major doubt for this weekend’s Premier League fixture.
Chelsea team news v Liverpool: Five things to know…
- Mount picked up an ankle injury during Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat to Valencia.
- However, Lampard has revealed the midfielder “has a chance” of playing on Sunday.
- He also revealed the only doubt surrounding N’Golo Kante is a lack of match fitness.
- But Chelsea will be without Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Marco van Ginkel.
- All 11 of Chelsea’s EPL goals this season have been scored by Englishmen, with Mount grabbing three.
However, Lampard has now cooled fears over Mount’s fitness and revealed the midfielder – who has already scored three goals in five Premier League games this season – has a “chance” of playing against Jurgen Klopp’s side at the weekend.
Chelsea have made an inconsistent start to the new Premier League season under Lampard, taking eight points from five games so far.
Lampard hoping for Kante “boost”
Another midfielder Lampard is hoping will be fit to face the Premier League leaders on Sunday is N’Golo Kante, who has been out of action since Chelsea’s 1-1 draw with Leicester last month.
In fact, Kante has struggled for fitness generally since the end of last season, but Lampard says the only thing stopping him from playing at this point is a doubt over his match fitness.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.