Mainz’s fight for Bundesliga safety takes them to Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday afternoon (14:30) with time running out on the 2019/20 campaign.
Despite currently holding the final position of safety in the Bundesliga, Mainz are just one point clear of Fortuna Dusseldorf in the relegation spot and three ahead of 17th-placed Werder Bremen.
The 05ers are without a win in their past five league games, losing to Hoffenheim last time out, and have Saturday’s opponents Eintracht to thank for their position outside the bottom three.
Fulfilling their game in hand, Eintracht beat Werder Bremen 3-0 on Wednesday night, all-but securing the Eagles‘ spot in next season’s Bundesliga after a tricky campaign. A win for Werder would have seen them move level on points with Mainz and could have dropped the 05ers into the relegation play-off had the victory been big enough.
Now Mainz are in control of their own destiny, can they see the season out and remain in the Bundesliga?
Where to watch Eintracht Frankfurt v Mainz on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 3
- US: Fox Soccer Plus
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Eintracht Frankfurt vs Mainz live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Eintracht Frankfurt & Mainz’s confirmed lineups:
— Eintracht Frankfurt (@Eintracht) June 6, 2020
- Eintracht Frankfurt: Trapp; Ilsanker, Hasebe, Hinteregger; Touré, Kohr, Rode, Kostic; Kamada; Silva, Dost.
Bast Dost starts after coming off the bench last time out and playing a pivotal role in Frankfurt’s win over Werder Bremen.
— 1. FSV Mainz 05 (@1FSVMainz05) June 6, 2020
- Mainz: Müller; Brosinski, Juste, Niakhaté, Mwene; Latza, Martins; Awoniyi, Öztunali, Quaison; Mateta.
Mainz are without the suspended Ridle Baku after his fifth yellow card of the season, while Alexander Hack is out through injury.
Players to watch:
- Eintracht Frankfurt: Filip Kostic. Eintracht’s win over Werder Bremen on Wednesday was dominated by the performance of Andre Silva, but it also saw Kostic continue his return to form. Kostic has been Eintracht’s standout player of the season, scoring four goals and adding 10 assists in the Bundesliga – being directly involved in more goals than any of his teammates. But either side of the break, Kostic had struggled for form, failing to score or record an assist in five matches. That run was ended with an assist against Freiburg in gameweek 28 and the Serbian added another on Wednesday to help Eintracht beat Bremen – setting up Silva’s goal.
- Mainz: Premier League clubs send their young players all over the world on loans, and for Liverpool’s Taiwo Awoniyi, Mainz was the destination. Awoniyi joined Liverpool as an 18-year-old in 2015 and, having spent the following five seasons on loan, is yet to make an appearance for the Reds at any level. However, it isn’t as sinister as it may seem, with other clubs building a reputation of buying young players and loaning them out before selling for a profit. Awoniyi is currently ineligible for a work permit, with non-EU players needing to play at least 75% of a Fifa top-50 ranked country’s matches over a two year period. In an interview with Sportinglife.ng last year, following his move to Mainz, Awoniyi revealed he was given two years by Jurgen Klopp to acquire a work permit and earn a chance at finally representing Liverpool. The Nigerian has had a tough season in Mainz, playing just 10 games but four of those have come since the return of the Bundesliga, with Awoniyi also scoring his first goal for the club.
Scoreline prediction: Eintracht Frankfurt 2-1 Mainz
Bundesliga 2019/20 recent form and league table:
- Eintracht Frankfurt: WWDLL
- Mainz: LDLDD
Bundesliga 2019/20 table