Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has hinted that the club are keen to sign Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt this summer.
The talented centre-back has enjoyed an impressive season with the Dutch side, which has warranted the attention of some of Europe’s biggest clubs.
Will De Ligt sign for Barca? Five things you need to know…
- De Ligt made his debut for Ajax in 2016.
- Since then, the defender has made 105 appearances for the Eredivisie side, scoring 10 goals.
- The 19-year-old became the youngest captain in the Champions League this season in Ajax’s knock-out match against Real Madrid.
- De Ligt has already amassed 15 caps for the Netherlands.
- Some of Europe’s biggest clubs have been linked with the defender including La Liga giants Barcelona.
Barcelona president Bartomeu spoke with reporters (via Football-Espana) about the talented Ajax defender and admitted that the Catalans will be in the market for the world’s best players, including De Ligt.
He said: “There will be time to speak about him.
“Each year the club has an interest in making signings and this summer will be the same. De Ligt, like the other best players, is on the table.
“He is a great player and a great centre-back. I know what will happen with him but it’s not the moment [to talk].”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Where will De Ligt go?
It seems certain that the Dutchman’s time in his native country is coming to an end, such is the demand for the talented defender. He still has plenty to do before the season is done, with Ajax still competing on both domestic and European fronts.
In the Eredivisie, Ajax climbed above title-rivals PSV following an impressive 4-1 victory over Willem II this weekend and are now top, having scored an impressive 100 goals and conceded just 26 times.
Their Champions League campaign has been a clear highlight, having demolished Real Madrid on Spanish soil.
However, regardless of Ajax’s success this season, De Ligt seems destined to depart and he could do a lot worse down heading to La Liga to play for Barcelona.