Chelsea outcast Davide Zappacosta is to join Roma on a season-long loan this week despite Frank Lampard recently praising his attitude in training, according to reports.
The Italian is yet to feature under Lampard this season and amassed just four Premier League appearances last campaign.
Zappacosta to Roma? Five things to know…
- Zappacosta is expected to join Roma this week, say the Guardian, subject to a medical.
- He will join the Italian club on a season-long loan.
- Signed for £23m from Torino is 2017, Zappacosta has struggled to hold down a first-team spot since joining Chelsea.
- He featured sporadically under Maurizio Sarri last season.
- With Lampard hopeful Reece James can step up this term, Zappacosta has fallen further down the pecking order.
He is set to undertake a medical this week ahead of his switch to the Stadio Olimpico, where he will become the third experienced defender to leave Stamford Bridge this summer, following David Luiz and Gary Cahill out of west London.
The decision to allow the 27-year-old to leave comes after Lampard recently praised his work ethic and attitude in training.
Speaking about Zappacosta’s situation last week, Lampard said: “I have been really impressed with Zappacosta’s training, attitude and how he has been.
“He is a very good player. We have to make sure that we are happy with our squad when the European windows shut completely.
“That will be a decision for us and, of course Zappa. I want players happy. The professionalism that he has shown here has been great.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Reece James set for “big” Chelsea role
One of the main reasons Zappacosta is set to leave Stamford Bridge is because of the emergence of teenage right-back Reece James.
The 19-year-old defender spent 2018/19 on loan with Wigan Athletic, featuring 46 times across all competitions.
He clinched the players’ and fans’ Player of the Year awards while he was also named in the Championship team of the season.
And despite currently being out injured Lampard has hinted at a “big” role for the talented tyro this campaign.