The 2022 World Cup qualifiers for South America recommence this week with Colombia welcoming Uruguay to the Estadio Metropolitano on Friday at 8:30pm.
Colombia currently occupy fifth in the standings after two matches, with Los Cafeteros beating neighbouring country Venezuela 3-0 last month, before a 91st-minute Radamel Falcao equaliser nicked a point away to Chile.
Meanwhile, Uruguay have made a tentative start to their qualification campaign, following up a 2-1 win over Chile with a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Ecuador, but Oscar Tabarez is a veteran tactician and will be desperate to avoid back-to-back losses.
When these nations met in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers Uruguay claimed a 3-0 victory and a point in Colombia, but can La Celeste repeat that trick this time round, or will the hosts claim a result to jump up to second?
Where to watch Colombia vs Uruguay on TV:
- UK: N/A
- US: Fanatiz
Where to live stream Colombia vs Uruguay:
UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Colombia vs Uruguay live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware. All odds and offers within this article are accurate at the time of writing (12:30, 11/11/20)
Colombia & Uruguay’s previous line-ups:
- Colombia (vs Chile): Vargas; Medina*, Sanchez, Murillo, Mojica; Barrios, Lerma, Cuadrado; James, Muriel, Zapata.
- Uruguay (vs Equador): Campana; Caceres, Godin, Araujo, Vina; Nandez, Bentancur, Valverde, Rodriguez; Suarez, Gomez.
Stefan Medina, Santiago Arias and Radamel Falcao are all currently sidelined and thus have been omitted from Colombia’s squad, while Brighton’s London-born midfielder Steven Alzate was unable to earn a recall this month.
📝👉🏼 ¡Estamos listos! 🔝🔥
Estos son los elegidos por @Carlos_Queiroz para enfrentar a @Uruguay y @LaTri por las Clasificatorias a la Copa Mundial de la FIFA Catar 2022 🇶🇦 #VamosColombia 🇨🇴🇨🇴🇨🇴🇨🇴🇨🇴🇨🇴🇨🇴 pic.twitter.com/V0FpICK6ux
— Selección Colombia (@FCFSeleccionCol) November 8, 2020
Meanwhile, Uruguay welcome back Edinson Cavani fresh from opening his Manchester United account last weekend, netting a late goal in the 3-1 win over Everton. The experienced striker’s return comes at a perfect time as Maxi Gomez is injured, while Tabarez will also be without Sebastian Coates and Ronald Araujo.
The big news for Uruguay is that Real Madrid midfielder Federico Valverde suffered a broken leg in the 4-1 defeat by Valencia and has been forced to withdraw.
2⃣3⃣ futbolistas convocados de @Uruguay vs. Colombia🇨🇴 y Brasil🇧🇷.
✈️ El domingo a las 14:00 h, el Cuerpo Técnico y Agustín Oliveros viajan rumbo a Colombia. El resto del plantel viajará directo a Barranquilla.
— Selección Uruguaya (@Uruguay) November 6, 2020
Players to watch:
- Colombia: He was declared fit to face Man Utd at the weekend having missed the previous encounter against Newcastle with a knock but James Rodriguez looked slightly off pace as Everton fell to a 3-1 loss. Former Man Utd coach Queiroz will be hoping his talismanic skipper has now completely shaken off that agitation picked up in the Merseyside derby and accumulated some much-needed minutes at Goodison Park on Saturday. Against the calibre of opposition later this week, Colombia will need their lead man to be fit and ready if they are to stage a home win.
- Uruguay: Uruguay has proven to be a goldmine for talent in recent years and Tabarez boasts a midfield stacked with quality. He will be unable to call upon midfield maestro Federico Valverde, but in Rodrigo Bentancur he has a sturdy and all-round playmaker capable of offering a similar passing range. The versatile player can operate in numerous positions across the pitch and will be the metronomic presence in Uruguay’s midfield. Lucas Torreira and Nahitan Nandez will bring the tenacity and dynamism, while Bentancur will look to dictate the tempo of play.
Scoreline prediction: Colombia 1-1 Uruguay
Compare football odds to get the best in the market using the Oddspedia tool below. Selecting a price will take you to the bookmaker’s sign-up page, where you can register, claim whatever welcome offer is available to new customers and place your bet. (18+ only, Be Gamble Aware)