Former Denmark international Jesper Olsen believes Tottenham Hotspur’s “world class” midfielder Christian Eriksen “must listen” to offers from Real Madrid and Barcelona.
The dynamic Dane will see his present deal in north London expire next summer, which has prompted interest from overseas.
Could Eriksen join Real or Barca? Five key things to know…
- Eriksen will enter the final year of his Spurs contract this summer.
- Negotiations with the midfielder regarding a new deal stalled earlier in the season.
- Spurs may now be tempted to cash in through fear of losing him on a free the following summer.
- Barcelona and Real Madrid have been linked, with the latter set for a summer overhaul.
- Olsen believes his compatriot would be foolish to ignore offers from either club.
Eriksen has enjoyed another stellar campaign for Mauricio Pochettino’s side, becoming only the second player in Premier League history to register 10 or more assists in four consecutive seasons.
The 27-year-old equalled David Beckham’s record during the 2-1 defeat to Liverpool last Sunday, teeing up Lucas Moura for the equaliser.
Spurs currently occupy third position in the table, and Eriksen has once again been integral to their high-flying success, but former Manchester United winger, Olsen, believes it may now be time for his compatriot to take the next step up.
“Christian is clearly a very important player for anyone, he is world class,” Olsen told reporters.
“Now there is talk that he might leave and there are reports in the UK that Tottenham are resigned to losing him, so Barcelona and Real Madrid would be a big step for him.
“It would be a big challenge for him but if clubs of that calibre come in for him and they start to talk to you, that is a huge opportunity and you must listen.
“He has been in the UK for a while, having joined from Ajax, and us Danes like to travel…”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Eriksen plays down departure rumours
During the international break Eriksen offered his thoughts in relation to rumours about his future, though was quick to pour cold water on speculation linking him with a move away from the capital.
The Dane stressed that he still has 18 months remaining on his contract and that all speculation is just newspaper talk.
Speaking to Danish outlet B.T., he said: “The Premier League clubs are starting very early to get their players to sign new contracts.
“Therefore, my situation is unnatural. Two years is still a long time when you think of a football career, but in England it is normal to sign a five, six-year agreement. That’s why my situation is different.
“The speculation about my future does not affect me. I don’t care about it. It’s newspaper news. It has been running ever since I was 14 years old and was on trial at Chelsea. There are newspapers that write it.”