Chelsea manager Frank Lampard has confirmed youngsters Reece James and Callum Hudson-Odoi will be in the Blues’ squad to face Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
James and Hudson-Odoi played the full 90 minutes in Chelsea’s 7-1 Carabao Cup win over Grimsby Town on Wednesday as they completed their returns from ankle and Achilles injuries, respectively.
Could James and Hudson-Odoi play v Brighton? Five things to know…
- Hudson-Odoi notched five goals and five assists in all competitions in a breakthrough 2018/19.
- But his campaign was cut short with an Achilles injury.
- James was Wigan Athletic’s Player of the Year and Player’s Player of the Year on loan last term.
- He suffered an ankle injury in the summer but scored on his long-awaited debut on Wednesday.
- Hudson-Odoi also bagged a goal vs Grimsby and Lampard confirmed both are in Saturday’s Premier League squad.
They also both got on the scoresheet as Lampard notched his biggest-ever win as a manager and the Chelsea boss has confirmed both will be in his squad for the visit of Graham Potter’s side on Saturday.
“Both Reece James and Callum Hudson-Odoi are in the squad for tomorrow’s game,” he told reporters on Friday.
Lampard also called upon his players to “keep pushing” in an effort to remain in touch with their biggest rivals, who have all had the advantage of being able to spend on their squad over the summer while Chelsea were banned from buying players.
The Blues lost 2-1 to Liverpool last weekend but showed plenty of spirit and quality in the second half to reduce the deficit and go toe-to-toe with the Premier League leaders.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Lampard added: “From the way we’ve played and the lots of moments we’ve had, we must be confident but we’ll have to keep pushing and working because other teams have invested heavily.”
Chelsea currently sit 11th in the Premier League but remain just three points behind third-placed Leicester City, such is the closeness of the early table.