Tim Cahill believes Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount is the Premier League’s most exciting young player because Frank Lampard is trying to “mould” him in his image.
The 21-year-old has enjoyed a breakthrough campaign at Stamford Bridge, with his midfield exploits yielding six goals and four assists in 29 games, as Chelsea currently occupy fourth position in the table.
Is Mount the PL’s most exciting youngster? Five things to know…
- Mount enjoyed two highly successful loan spells away from west London prior to his rise this campaign.
- He clinched the Player of the Year award during a temporary stint with Vitesse and played under Lampard with Derby last season.
- This campaign, he has been a near ever-present in Lampard’s XI, forging a solid reputation as a goalscoring midfielder.
- Ex-Everton man Cahill believes Mount is the division’s most exciting youngster at this current moment on account of his Lampard-esque qualities.
- He believes Chelsea boss Lampard is trying to “mould” Mount in his image and develop him into a “top goalscorer”.
Mount rose to prominence last season as Lampard’s Derby County finished sixth in the Championship and reached the play-off final, losing 2-1 to Aston Villa in the showpiece event at Wembley.
Many were tipping Mount to make the step up this season upon Lampard’s arrival in the capital, but few could have predicted the seamless transition he has gone on to make, with the England international now a fully-fledged member of Chelsea’s first-team.
Mount’s playing style has drawn similarities with the club’s record goalscorer and now head coach, Lampard, and former Everton midfielder Cahill believes this is exactly why the youngster is so exciting.
He told Sky Sports: “I like the look of Mason Mount. I think he’s a top goalscorer and he’s got a massive career ahead of him.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“One of the reasons why I like him a lot is because of his coach [Frank Lampard] and the way that he’s trying to mould a player similar to himself. He can lead him and show him the right ways.
“You can see that starting to come to fruition with his football this season. I’m a big fan.”