The brother and agent of Gonzalo Higuain says his client wants to end his playing career at Juventus.
Higuain, 31, joined the Old Lady in 2016 from Napoli but has spent last season on loan at AC Milan and Chelsea.
A former Real Madrid marksman, Higuain would bag 92 goals across 147 appearances for Napoli, with 60 of those coming under reportedly-incoming Juve manager Maurizio Sarri.
After claiming the 2015/16 Serie A Golden Boot – 36 goals in 35 games – Juve parted with £75.3m to bring him from Naples and the Argentine hit the ground running.
Higuain, though, would leave to join AC Milan on loan for the 2018/19 season after bagging 55 goals in 105 games. The Argentinian made 22 appearances for the Rossoneri before leaving midway through the campaign to reunite with Sarri at Chelsea.
Juve inserted an option-to-buy clause in his Chelsea contract but it’s unlikely the powers that be at Stamford Bridge will exercise that option following his five goals in 18 games – only one of which came against a team in the top half of the Premier League.
The Argentinian has recently found himself being linked with a potential move to Roma, but, according to brother-agent Nicolas, Higuain is focused on turning his Juventus career around.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“I’m in Buenos Aires and Gonzalo is here with his wife and daughter, but he’s on holiday,” he told Radio Marte.
“I want to clarify that we haven’t talked to anyone else. My brother’s also under contract with Juve. Gonzalo wants to respect his contract and therefore stay with Juventus for another two years.
“His performances at Juve have been good and playing for another team in Italy isn’t a workable solution. I don’t want to disrespect anyone, but if Gonzalo plays in Italy again then he only will for Juve, who own him.
“I think this could be Gonzalo’s year. He has so much strength and determination, and he wants to end his career at Juve.”
Higuain’s journey. Five key things to know…
- Higuain turned professional at River Plate, scoring 13 goals in 31 games.
- The Argentinian made the move to Europe with Real Madrid where he netted 122 goals in 264 games.
- Higuain then moved to Italy where he became a star at Napoli (92 goals in 147 games) before joining Juventus (55 goals in 105 games).
- The forward spent the last season on loan at AC Milan (eight goals in 22 games) and Chelsea (five goals in 18 games)
- He announced his international retirement in March 2019 after scoring 31 goals across 75 games for Argentina.