Real Madrid defender Dani Carvajal has played down the need for a squad overhaul at the club this summer.
Carvajal, who played a key role in Madrid’s three successive Champions League titles under Zinedine Zidane, doesn’t believe a “revolution” is necessary.
Are Real Madrid set for big changes this summer? Five key things to know…
- Zidane has returned as Madrid’s third manager this season following disastrous spells under Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari.
- The Frenchman will reportedly be handed a big transfer budget this summer with Eden Hazard and Christian Eriksen said to be on his shortlist.
- Meanwhile, big names such as Gareth Bale and Toni Kroos could allegedly be on their way out of the club.
- Madrid were dumped out of the Champions League at the Round of 16 stage by Ajax and are currently third in La Liga.
- Carvajal insists the squad hasn’t changed much over recent years and has still been successful, but Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit has resulted in a drop-off in quality.
Madrid are expected to spend this summer but it remains unclear whether the squad will undergo a mass overhaul or a few small changes.
Carvajal believes the former would be unnecessary given the success and pedigree of the current squad.
“I’m not the one to decide that [who leaves],” Carvajal said, according to Goal.
“Those who work on that should look at what the team needs and who from outside the club can help us.
“I do not think there needs to be a revolution. In recent years the team has not changed much and we have been European champions for 1,000 days.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Benzema has been Real Madrid’s player of the season – Carvajal
Carvajal went on to praise Karim Benzema, who scored his 27th goal of the season across all competitions over the weekend.
The defender claimed Benzema has been Madrid’s best player during a difficult season for the team.
“I think he’s having a fantastic season,” Carvajal added.
“I congratulate him because he has practically scored goals all season and I think that if you have to value someone more positively, he has been the best of the team this year.”