Jorge Mendes has suggested his client Bruno Fernandes may not join Manchester United this month.
Fernandes has been heavily linked with United this January but Mendes admits he does not know whether the Sporting Lisbon midfielder will leave Portugal now or at the end of the season.
Bruno Fernandes to Man Utd in doubt? Five things to know…
- Fernandes was strongly linked with Man Utd and Tottenham in the summer but a transfer failed to materialise.
- This month, speculation about Fernandes joining United resurfaced and a move was said to be close at one point.
- But according to Sky Sports, United and Sporting remain £10m apart on their valuation of the player, casting doubt on the chances of a deal happening in January.
- Fernandes’ agent, Jorge Mendes, has now admitted he does not know if his client will move to Old Trafford this month.
- The 25-year-old has scored 15 goals in 27 appearances across all competitions this season and United are desperate for more firepower as a result of Marcus Rashford’s injury.
Reports suggest United and Sporting are far from close to agreeing a fee for Fernandes, which has led to talk of a deal not happening.
Quizzed on the possibility of Fernandes joining United by the deadline at the end of the month, Mendes did not seem certain about the transfer going through.
“I don’t know [if the transfer will go through],” Mendes said.
“If he doesn’t leave now, he will leave for sure in the summer because Sporting have already spoken with other clubs. Something will happen but I am not sure if now or at the end of the season.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side looked toothless in attack in Wednesday’s 2-0 Premier League defeat to Burnley, adding to the need for a goalscoring midfielder in the squad.
Marcus Rashford has been ruled out for two to three months because of a double stress fracture in his back, meaning United will be without their top scorer for a crucial phase of the campaign.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Fernandes has found the net eight times in 16 appearances in the Portuguese top-flight this term, numbers Solskjaer can only dream of having with his current attacking midfield options.
United face the prospect of a Manchester derby next week without Rashford, who scored the team’s only goal in the 3-1 defeat to Manchester City in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-finals earlier this month.