Big-spending Chelsea get their Premier League season underway with a visit to Brighton & Hove Albion on Monday (8:15pm kick-off).
The Blues have spent £200m+ on six players so far this summer in their quest to cement their top-four status and also challenge Liverpool and Manchester City for domestic glory.
As for Brighton, they enter a fourth consecutive top-flight season, but in each of those campaigns the Seagulls have been battling against relegation and manager Graham Potter will be hoping for a bright start to ease those potential concerns.
Where to watch Brighton vs Chelsea on TV:
- UK: Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Main Event
- US: Peacock
Where to live stream Brighton vs Chelsea online:
US ONLY: Fubo* are streaming a selection of Premier League fixtures live for account holders. Those without a Fubo account already can take advantage of their seven-day free trial by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- Click ‘Start Your Free Trial’ and enter your details.
- Log in and pick your desired channel to watch.
*Geo restrictions apply. Fubo is currently available in the United States, Canada and Spain. Packages and pricing differ per country.
Brighton & Chelsea’s previous line-ups:
- Brighton (vs Burnley): Ryan; Webster, Burn, Dunk; Lamptey, Bissouma, Stephens, March; Mac Allister; Maupay, Connolly.
- Chelsea (vs Bayern Munich): Caballero; James, Zouma, Christensen, Emerson; Kanté, Kovacic*; Hudson-Odoi, Barkley, Mount; Abraham.
Jose Izquierdo and Christian Walton are both out for Brighton but Davy Propper faces a late fitness test. Chelsea will be without new signings Hakim Ziyech, Ben Chilwell and Thiago Silva but both Cesar Azpilicueta and Christian Pulisic are in contention after hamstring injuries picked up in the FA Cup final. Timo Werner and Kai Havertz have both been tipped to start.
Even though 11 places and 25 points separated Brighton and Chelsea last season they both conceded the same total of goals (54) which illustrates Lampard’s biggest conundrum heading into the forthcoming new campaign as no top 10 side had a leakier defence. Elsewhere, they are far more comfortable in possession than Brighton, who proved to be more vulnerable inside their own penalty area.
Players to watch:
- Brighton: Despite winning just one of their last five Premier League games last term Brighton had already done enough to stave off relegation and French centre-forward Neal Maupay played a big role. He ended the 2019/20 season on 10 goals (the only Brighton player in double figures) meaning the forward was responsible for 26% of the Seagulls total output. Maupay, donning the number seven jersey, nevertheless heads into the new campaign having scored just one goal in his last 11 home matches.
- Chelsea: After being prohibited from dipping into the market last summer, Chelsea have been making up for some lost time and made no fewer than four mega signings this summer, it’s clear Lampard’s team are determined to cement a top-four berth whilst having a sniff at the title. In that regard a serial marksman was needed and Timo Werner, formerly of RB Leipzig, certainly fits that bill. The 30-time capped German international has arrived after bagging 28 goals in 34 league outings last term and he’ll be keen to open his Premier League account at the first time of asking.
Scoreline prediction: Brighton 1-2 Chelsea
Brighton vs Chelsea: Betting offer & odds
CLICK HERE to claim 888 Sport’s new customer offer • 18+ only • Max Bet £5 • £10 deposit using promo code 888ODDS • Free bets are granted within 72 hours and expires after 7 days • Free bet stakes not included in returns • Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time • Withdrawal restrictions & full Ts&Cs apply • BeGambleAware