Liverpool can take another step closer to the Premier League record points total when they travel to Brighton on Wednesday evening (20:15).
The league champions remain 11 points off Manchester City‘s record-breaking century with five games to go, but they can move to within single digits of that milestone with a victory over the Seagulls.
Graham Potter‘s side were in danger of getting dragged into a relegation scrap just before the shutdown, but have returned to action in fine form and navigated away from trouble, with wins over Norwich and Arsenal moving them up to 15th in the table and nine points from the drop zone.
Complacency could set in for either of these sides, but Jurgen Klopp will no doubt have his sights set on usurping Pep Guardiola‘s 100-point haul from the last campaign, while Brighton will be eager to end a 36-year wait for victory over Liverpool.
The stage is set at the Amex but can Brighton continue their fine form? Or will Klopp mastermind another three points and edge ever closer to an historic finish?
Where to watch Brighton vs Liverpool on TV:
- UK: Sky Sports Main Event & Sky Sports Premier League
- US: NBCSN
Click here to access 888 Sport’s Brighton vs Liverpool new customer offer. 18+ only. Max Bet €5. €10 deposit using promo code 888ODDS. Free bets are granted within 72 hours and expires after 7 days. Free bet stakes not included in returns. Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time. Withdrawal restrictions & full T&C’s apply. BeGambleAware.
Brighton & Liverpool’s previous line-ups:
- Brighton (vs Norwich): Ryan; Lamptey, Webster, Dunk, Burn; Propper, Bissouma, Mooy, Trossard; Connolly, Maupay.
- Liverpool (vs Aston Villa): Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson*; Fabinho, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Salah, Mane, Origi.
Steven Alzate and Jose Izquierdo remain on the sidelines for Brighton, while Liverpool will have to make do without James Milner, Joel Matip and Dejan Lovren. Andrew Robertson is currently being assessed ahead of the clash after picking up a calf agitation against Villa, but could pass a late fitness test.
Players to watch:
- Brighton: For the past three seasons Brighton have relied upon Glenn Murray to produce the goods in front of goal, with the bullish marksman netting double digits in each of those campaigns and finishing as the club’s top scorer. This season the 36-year-old has naturally taken a step back and passed the torch on to Neal Maupay. The diminutive Frenchman has been a real nuisance up top in Potter’s fluid system, combining an acute eye for goal with a range of skills and trickery in the final third. He remains just one goal shy of 10 for the campaign and is just beginning to form a deadly partnership with Aaron Connolly.
- Liverpool: In a side brimming with world class talent it is difficult to highlight just one standout player, but arguably the cream of the crop has been Sadio Mane. Koppites will gush at Alisson’s elite dexterity, Virgil van Dijk’s defensive resilience and Jordan Henderson’s leadership qualities, but Mane has been in a league of his own up top, forming another telepathic relationship with Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino, while once again challenging for the Golden Boot. Brighton will have tighten up at the back and pray Lady Luck is on their side if they are to silence the Senegalese forward.
Scoreline prediction: Brighton 0-2 Liverpool
Premier League 2019/20 recent form:
- Brighton: DWDLW
- Liverpool: WDWLW