Brad Friedel has picked Brazilian duo Alisson and Ederson as his two favourite goalkeepers right now.
Alisson kept a league-high 21 clean sheets last season, while Ederson was just behind him with 20 and was also one of just two goalkeepers to register an assist in the Premier League last season.
Alisson v Ederson: Five things to know…
- Alisson (21) and Ederson (20) topped the Premier League clean sheet charts last term.
- Alisson is currently Brazil’s first-choice goalkeeper, picking up 42 caps to date.
- Ederson has just five caps but picked up another Premier League winner’s medal in 2018/19.
- He was also one of just two Premier League ‘keepers to register an assist last season.
- Friedel believes Ederson’s style is perfect for Pep Guardiola’s Man City.
The form of the Brazilian pair played a massive part in Manchester City and Liverpool finishing well clear in first and second in the Premier League during 2018/19, with Pep Guardiola’s side picking up the title and Jurgen Klopp’s team winning the Champions League.
And Friedel, who kept 132 clean sheets in 450 Premier League appearances during his playing days, believes Ederson’s “amazing” distribution suits Man City’s style perfectly, setting the 26-year-old apart from peers.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Ederson: Alisson is a step ahead
Despite Friedel preferring Ederson, the Man City stopper believes his compatriot is ahead of him and fellow Fifa The Best Goalkeeper nominee Marc-Andre ter Stegen right now.