Another leg of the Bundesliga’s thrilling race for a Champions League spot takes place on Saturday, when Borussia Monchengladbach host Bayer Leverkusen.
Gladbach hold the upper hand, sitting in third and having capitalised on RB Leipzig’s draw with Freiburg to leapfrog Die Roten Bullen via 3-1 win over Eintracht Frankfurt.
Marco Rose’s side have been one of the Bundesliga’s most exciting teams this season and may be keeping one eye on the action at the top of the table, six points behind Bayern Munich with a trip to the Allianz Arena still to come.
But just two points and two places behind Gladbach are Leverkusen, who also closed the gap on Leipzig with a 4-1 win away to Werder Bremen. Peter Bosz’s team are pretty much guaranteed a spot in Europe, currently 11 points clear of sixth-placed Wolfsburg. But given how close things are at the top, a Europa League place may feel like a negative for Leverkusen come the end of the season.
Of course, the standings won’t be finalised on Saturday, but the clash between Gladbach and Leverkusen could go some way to deciding who represents the Bundesliga in next season’s Champions League.
Where to watch Borussia Monchengladbach v Bayer Leverkusen on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 2
- US: Fox Sports 2
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Borussia Monchengladbach vs Bayer Leverkusen live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Borussia Monchengladbach vs Bayer Leverkusen confirmed line-ups:
— Gladbach (@borussia_en) May 23, 2020
- Borussia Monchengladbach: Sommer; Lainer, Ginter, Elvedi, Bensebaini; Neuhaus, Strobl; Hofmann, Embolo, Thuram; Plea.
Gladbach are unchanged from last week’s team.
— Bayer 04 Leverkusen (@bayer04_en) May 23, 2020
- Bayer Leverkusen: Hradecky, Sinkgraven, Dragovic, Tapsoba, Weiser, Aranguiz, Bender, Bellarabi, Demirbay, Diaby, Havertz
Florian Wirtz drops out of the Leverkusen team after becoming their youngest-ever player.
Players to watch:
- Borussia Monchengladbach: It took Alassane Plea just 36 seconds to open the scoring against Eintracht Frankfurt last weekend, continuing his impressive campaign. The 27-year-old striker had a decent first campaign at Gladbach last season, scoring 12 goals, and is close to equalling that tally this time around. In 23 Bundesliga appearance so far, Plea has scored nine times and is Gladbach’s top-scorer this season. But the Frenchman has also added assists to his game, with only Marcus Thuram setting up teammates more often than Plea’s seven. Being directly involved in 16 Bundesliga goals this season, Plea has been responsible for 30.77% of Gladbach’s total tally, becoming a truly important player. It’s easy to see why Premier League clubs have previously tried to sign the striker. “Of course it’s flattering to hear that clubs from the Premier League were interested, but I desperately wanted to come to Germany because you get everything you need here to move onto the next level and improve,” said Plea a couple years ago. He wasn’t wrong.
- Bayer Leverkusen: Much Leverkusen talk this season has Kai Havertz-based. And while the German has been good, he can’t be the Player to Watch in every Leverkusen preview we do. So this weekend keep an eye on Moussa Diaby, a player so good he incites fear in fully-grown, experienced Bundesliga coaches (“I was afraid he would play against us,” Freiburg’s Christian Steich said after a 1-1 draw last November). The 20-year-old Frenchman was a summer arrival from PSG and has terrorised the opposing wings, linking up particularly well with Havertz. Diaby was directly involved in nine Bundesliga goals this season. Only Kevin Volland (16) and Havertz (13) have been directly involved in more Bundesliga goals for Leverkusen this season. Among Diaby’s ‘goal involvements’ were two assists against Bremen last weekend. We recommend you feast your eyes on the first.
Star power on show 🤩
Kai Havertz picks up where he left off with a goal 27 minutes into Leverkusen's return to action!
— 🇩🇪Ja! Watch the Bundesliga live on BT Sport🇩🇪 (@btsportfootball) May 18, 2020
Scoreline prediction: Borussia Monchengladbach 3-2 Bayer Leverkusen
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and recent form:
- Borussia Monchengladbach: WWLWD
- Bayer Leverkusen: WWDWW
→ Bayern (58 points)
→ Dortmund (54 points)
↑ Gladbach (52 points)
↓ RB Leipzig (51 points)
→ Bayer Leverkusen (50 points)
B04 make it five teams with a half-century of points after 26 games. pic.twitter.com/WRFuSxcf4a
— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) May 18, 2020