Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre has excluded Jadon Sancho from his squad to face league leaders Borussia Mönchengladbach.
The 19-year-old England winger has been ever-present for BVB this season, registering six goals and creating a further six for his teammates.
Sancho punished by Dortmund? Five key things to know…
- Jadon Sancho has been ever-present for Borussia Dortmund this season.
- He’s managed three goals and six assists in seven Bundesliga appearances.
- Sancho, however, showed up late for training after the recent international break.
- He would subsequently be given a fine and one-match suspension ahead of the game vs Gladbach.
- The season before last, Sancho was also sent to train with the u23s due to lateness.
“Jadon is a great kid, but he is still very young,” Michael Zorc, the Dortmund sporting director, said ahead of the game.
“The decision was not easy, but there was no other choice. The suspension is only active for today.”
Earlier this week Sancho, who joined Dortmund from Manchester City in 2017, made the final 20-man shortlist for the prestigious Golden Boy award.
He was on international duty, having played the final 17 minutes of England’s monster 6-0 win in Bulgaria on Monday.
Folgende Spieler sind bei #BVBBMG nicht dabei:
❌Jadon Sancho (disziplinarische Maßnahme)
❌Paco Alcácer (muskuläre Probleme)
❌Mario Götze (grippaler Infekt)
— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) October 19, 2019
However, according to German publication Kicker, the Londoner returned late and showed up for training on Thursday.
This frustrated his employers, and Dortmund boss Favre subsequently decided on the eve of Gladbach’s visit to fine and suspended Sancho temporarily.
Favre alluded to the matter in Thursday’s press conference: “The expectations of Jadon are enormous, but that is dangerous.
“Jadon is a great player, no discussions, but he still has a lot to learn.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.