Aston Villa vs Newcastle Premier League predictions: Tips, odds and team news
Aston Villa will be hoping to strengthen their grip on a place in the Premier League top four when they host Newcastle on Tuesday at 8:15pm (UK time).
Aston Villa vs Newcastle odds
*Odds correct as of 18:15 on January 22
Aston Villa are having a great season but they’ve stuttered slightly of late. The Villans have won just one of their past four games, falling away from second to fourth, albeit level on points with both Manchester City and Arsenal above them. The run started with a draw against Sheffield United before Christmas, which ended Villa’s long winning run at home, before defeat to Manchester United having led 2-0. They stopped the rot with victory over Burnley, but needed a late penalty to secure the three points, and struggled in a goalless draw with Everton last time out.
Newcastle, meanwhile, have fallen drastically from last season. The top four disruptors, many had tipped Newcastle to do the same this year, but right now they’re just about holding onto a stop in the top half. The Magpies have already lost 10 games this season, the most in the top half of the table, and only five teams have suffered more defeats. They go into this game on a run of four successive defeats, losing to Luton, Nottingham Forest, Man City and Liverpool — while two of those defeats could be forgiven, the other two will have been seen as straightforward victories on paper.
Aston Villa vs Newcastle predictions
Aston Villa vs Newcastle: Predictions
|Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle
Odds correct at the time of writing. 18+ Only. Terms and Conditions Apply.
The stats behind our Aston Villa vs Newcastle predictions:
- Aston Villa are unbeaten in their past seven home games against Newcastle.
- Aston Villa have won nine of their 10 home league games this season.
- Newcastle have lost seven of their 10 away league games this season.
- Newcastle haven’t scored in any of their past four trips to Villa Park.
- Douglas Luiz has scored six league goals at Villa Park this season.
Aston Villa vs Newcastle match tip
Newcastle fans won’t be travelling to Villa Park with much optimism. On top of the Magpies’ poor away record in the league, Newcastle have generally suffered at Villa Park of late. In fact, Newcastle haven’t scored in any of their past four trips to Villa Park, and even their most recent goal at the ground was an own goal by Tommy Elphick.
BetMGM sign-up offer: Get £40 in free bets when you bet £10
Not signed up to BetMGM yet? Here's how eligible readers* can take advantage of their welcome offer:
- Open an account at BetMGM using this link.
- Select the Sports Welcome Offer.
- Get the offer from the ‘My Offers’ page.
- Deposit and place a £10 bet at odds of 1/1 (2.0) or greater.
- When it settles, unlock £40 in Free Bets
*New customer only. 3 days to claim & 7 days to place a qualifying bet to receive 4x Free Bets: 1 x £10 Horse racing, 1 x £10 Free Bet Builder, 1 x £10 Acca and 1 x £10 Football. 7 day expiry. Exclusions apply. Stake not returned. T&Cs apply. For more information, visit begambleaware.org
Aston Villa vs Newcastle team news
Aston Villa team news
|Emiliano Buendia, Tyrone Mings, Bertrand Traore
|Lucas Digne, Pau Torres, Jacob Ramsey, Robin Olsen
Tyrone Mings and Emiliano Buendia remain long-term absentees, but Villa will be hoping to have the likes of Jacob Ramsey, Pau Torres and Lucas Digne available by the time this game comes around.
Newcastle team news
|Sandro Tonali, Nick Pope, Joelinton, Joe Willock, Elliot Anderson, Harvey Barnes, Matt Targett
|Jacob Murphy, Callum Wilson, Tino Livramento
Newcastle could call upon Jacob Murphy, Callum Wilson and Tino Livramento for this game, but it remains too soon for the likes of Harvey Barnes and Joe Willock.
Aston Villa vs Newcastle head-to-head record
- 12 August 2023 – Newcastle 5-1 Aston Villa – Premier League
- 15 April 2023 – Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle – Premier League
- 29 October 2022 – Newcastle 4-0 Aston Villa – Premier League
- 13 February 2022 – Newcastle 1-0 Aston Villa – Premier League
- 21 August 2021 – Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle – Premier League
Newcastle may have thrashed Aston Villa earlier this season, and won three of the last four, but they haven’t left Villa Park with victory since 2013.