Barcelona vs Antwerp Champions League predictions: tips, odds and team news
Barcelona and Antwerp face off in the Champions League group stage on Tuesday at 8pm (UK time).
Barcelona vs Antwerp odds
*Odds correct as of 07:30 on September 19
Barcelona may have won La Liga last season but they had a disastrous Champions League campaign, bowing out at the group stage. Although they were placed in a tough group alongside Bayern Munich and Inter Milan, many still expected the Blaugrana to make it to the knockout stages. Instead, they finished third and were then knocked out of the Europa League knockout round play-off by Manchester United. Back in the Champions League, this is Barcelona’s 28th campaign in the tournament since its rebrand, the joint-most alongside Real Madrid. It’s also their 20th consecutive season in the competition.
Royal Antwerp, meanwhile, are making their Champions League debut having won the Belgian league in dramatic fashion last season. However, this isn’t their first time in Europe’s top competition. In 1957, Antwerp featured in the European Cup, with their gap of 65 years between appearances the longest in the competition’s history.
Barcelona vs Antwerp predictions
Barcelona vs Antwerp: Predictions
|BTTS?||Yes||1/1 with Betway|
|Correct Score||4-1||12/1 with BetGoodwin|
|First Goalscorer||Joao Felix||5/1 with Sky Bet|
Odds correct at the time of writing. 18+ Only. Terms and Conditions Apply.
The stats behind our Barcelona vs Antwerp predictions:
- Royal Antwerp have lost all three of their away games against Spanish sides by an aggregate score of 10-0.
- Barcelona have never lost a home game against Belgian opposition (seven wins and one draw).
- Royal Antwerp coach Mark van Bommel has won none of his nine Champions League games in charge (four draws and five losses).
- Barcelona have won four of their last five Champions League home matches against sides from outside Europe’s big five leagues.
- Joao Felix opened the scoring with his first goal for Barca in a 5-0 win over Real Betis at the weekend.
Barcelona vs Antwerp match tip
Man look at the Champions League as Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi’s competition, or even Karim Benzema. But we shouldn’t overlook Robert Lewandowski. The Polish striker is a former Champions League winner, lifting the trophy with Bayern Munich in 2019/20 and has scored 91 goals in the competition since the start of 2011/12. During that time, only Ronaldo (112) and Messi (92) have netted more goals than Lewandowski.
Barcelona vs Antwerp Bet-Builder tip
Barcelona’s recent Champions League record isn’t befitting of a five-time winner. In last season’s competition they won just once at home (across three matches played) and in each of those contests over 2.5 goals were scored. Furthermore, they’ve won four of their last five Champions League home matches against sides from outside Europe’s big five leagues, with three of those aforementioned games seeing both teams score.
Barcelona's last three Champions League home games have seen over 2.5 goals scored.
Three of Barcelona's last five matches against sides from outside Europe's top five leagues have seen both teams score.
Barcelona vs Antwerp team news
Pedri (muscle) and Ronald Araujo (hamstring) are the only players missing for Barcelona as they get their Champions League campaign underway. Toby Alderweireld, whose goal won Antwerp the league last season, returned from a shoulder injury at the weekend so could feature. However, Ortwin De Wolf, Kobe Corbanie, Davino Verhulst, Björn Engels and Sam Vines are all out for the visitors.
Barcelona vs Antwerp head-to-head record
- 1 December 1965 – Barcelona 2-0 Antwerp – Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
- 17 November 1965 – Antwerp 2-1 Barcelona – Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
The only previous meetings between Barcelona and Royal Antwerp came in the 1964/65 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, with the Spanish giants winning 3-2 on aggregate in the second round (1-2 away and 2-0 home).
Barcelona vs Antwerp Squawka Says
Recommended bet8:00 pm Tuesday September 19
- Bookmaker Odds Betting Tip
- 12/1 Bet with BetGoodwin Sign-Up Offer: 50% back as a free bet up to £25 on first day losses
- Euro 2024 qualifying betting tips & predictions
- Football Accumulator tips
- Latest live streaming fixtures