Benfica will be looking to keep up with their Primeira Liga title rivals when they host Tondela on Friday night (7pm kick-off UK, time).
Jorge Jesus’ men are currently third in the table after 12 games, level on points with Porto but four behind leaders and rivals Sporting CP. Opponents, Tondela, are in 13th just three points off the bottom.
Where to watch Benfica vs Tondela on TV:
- UK: Live Score App
- US: GOLTV
How to live stream Benfica vs Tondela online:
Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those who are interested in streaming Benfica vs Tondela live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund your account.
- Navigate to the ‘In-Play’ link at the top of the homepage and select your desired event.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account or placed a bet in the last 24 hours, BeGambleAware. All odds and offers within this article are accurate at the time of writing (17:45, 06/01/21).
Scoreline prediction: Benfica 2-0 Tondela
Compare football odds to get the best in the market using the Oddspedia tool below. Selecting a price will take you to the bookmaker’s sign-up page, where you can register, claim whatever welcome offer is available to new customers and place your bet. (18+ only, Be Gamble Aware)
Benfica vs Tondela build-up, previous line-ups & injury news:
Benfica were second in the Primeira Liga going into their most recent game against Santa Clara, and had the opportunity to close the gap on Sporting CP to two points with a win. However, they could only manage a draw, which not only keeps them a safe distance from Sporting, but also allowed Porto to go level on points and ahead on goal difference as things stand.
The draw also brought an end to Benfica’s four-game winning run but they will be hopeful of getting straight back to winning ways against a Tondela side that have been struggling this season.
Tondela are currently 13th in the league with 12 points from their opening 12 games, winning just one of their past five games in the league. They also have the worst goal difference in the league, conceding 20 goals so far (joint-most) to 10 only goals scored.
- Benfica (vs Santa Clara): Vlachodimos; Gilberto, Ferro, Vertonghen, Grimaldo; Rafa, Weigl, Taarabt, Everton; Waldschmidt, Nunez.
- Tondela (vs Famalicao): Niasse; Tiago Almeida, Tavares, Martinez, Ferreira; Pedro Augusto, Grau, Joao Pedro; Agra, Gonzalez, Murillo.
Neither side has any fresh absentees following their recent outings, but Benfica will be able to welcome Nicolas Otamendi back following suspension. Bebeto and Naoufel Khacef are also available for Tondela after suspension.
Players to watch:
- Benfica: Gian-Luca Waldschmidt joined Benfica from Freiburg last summer and, in his first half-season, has already made himself a key part of Jesus’ side. The 24-year-old Germany international has played all 12 of Benfica’s league games so far this season, starting nine and adding another three substitute appearances. In that time, Waldschmidt has scored five goals, with only Haris Seferovic (six) managing more, while also providing two assists. Last time out against Santa Clara, Waldschmidt was the provider for Darwin Nunez’s opener, ending a run of two games without a goal involvement. And Waldschmidt will be hoping he can now return to scoring form this Friday.
- Tondela: Some Benfica fans may remember the name Jhon Murillo from his signing in 2015, but they could be excused for not having heard of the Venezuelan’s links with their club. Murillo joined Benfica from Venezuelan side Zamora in July 2015 but, just 15 days after his move, he was sent on loan to Tondela. Two years later, he returned to Benfica but was almost immediately loaned out again to Kasimpasa for a season. His final return to Benfica came in June 2018 but it wasn’t long before he was on the move again, back to Tondela, only this time on a permanent deal without ever representing Benfica. It’s no surprise then, that Murillo has found himself a home at Tondela, featuring on the flanks from right-back to left-wing. This season he has two assists, including one against Famalicao last time out and there may be hope for a third, or a first goal, against his former club.
Primeira Liga 2020/21 recent form:
- Benfica: DWWWW
- Tondela: WLDLL
More live stream options: