With the German football season nearing its climax, the DFB-Pokal returns this week with Bayern Munich hosting Eintracht Frankfurt in one of the semi-finals.
Bayern look well on their way to securing the Bundesliga title, needing just two more wins, and will undoubtedly be hoping to add the cup for 13th domestic double. Hans-Dieter Flick’s side are defending champions having beat RB Leipzig 3-0 in last season’s final, but will have revenge on their mind when Eintracht travel to Bavaria on Wednesday night.
Only Bayern (19) and Werder Bremen (six) have won the DFB-Pokal more times than Eintracht’s five, the last of which came in 2018 when – led by Niko Kovac – they beat Bayern 3-1, souring Jupp Heynckes’ farewell.
The win also made Eintracht one of just three teams to deny Bayern a double in the past seven years, and the only side to beat the German champions at the final hurdle. However, Eintracht’s last two visits to the Allianz Arena have seen them ship a total of 10 goals, including a 5-2 Bundesliga defeat just last month.
Where to watch Bayern Munich v Eintracht Frankfurt on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: ESPN
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Bayern Munich vs Eintracht Frankfurt live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
Bayern Munich & Eintracht Frankfurt’s previous line-ups:
- Bayern Munich (vs Bayer Leverkusen): Neuer; Pavard, Boateng, Alaba, Davies; Goretzka, Kimmich; Coman, Muller, Gnabry; Lewandowski.
- Eintracht Frankfurt (vs Mainz): Trapp; Ilsanker, Hinteregger, Hasebe; Toure, Kohr, Rode, Kostic*; Kamada; Dost, Silva.
Eintracht Frankfurt will have to make do without Filip Kostic after the Serbian was set off for a horror tackle in their quarter-final win over Werder Bremen in March.
Players to watch:
- Bayern Munich: Robert Lewandowski. The Polish striker has been in devastating form for Bayern this season, scoring 44 goals in 38 games across all competitions. Three of those goals have come in three DFB-Pokal appearances, including two against Hoffenheim in the last-16. Lewandowski has also scored in both appearances against Eintracht this season, netting once in each of the league meetings. But perhaps more frighteningly for Eintracht is that Lewandowski will be suspended for Bayern’s next league game, giving him a free weekend after Wednesday’s cup match. Without having to worry too much about his fatigue, Lewandowski may go all out to send Bayern to the final.
- Eintracht Frankfurt: Daichi Kamada. Eintracht have scored 12 goals in this season’s DFB-Pokal but will unfortunately be without the scorers of six of those for the trip to Bayern. As previously mentioned, Kostic is suspended, while Ante Rebic grabbed a hat-trick in the first round before joining AC Milan. Among those available, three players make up the other six goals, scoring two goals each, including Kamada. The Japanese midfielder has been the man behind the front two in recent weeks and has also been somewhat of a cup marvel this season. Of Kamada’s 10 goals in all competitions this season, eight have been in cups, with six in the Europa League, including the two that effectively saw Arsenal sack Unai Emery, and two in the DFB-Pokal.
Scoreline prediction: Bayern Munich 4-1 Eintracht Frankfurt
- Bayern Munich: WWWWW
- Eintracht Frankfurt: LDWWL