Barcelona have announced the signing of Spanish left-back Junior Firpo from Real Betis on a five-year deal.
Firpo, who was also linked with Liverpool recently, has emerged as one of European football’s most exciting left-back prospects in recent years and impressed during Spain’s Uefa European Under-21 Championship-winning campaign this summer.
Another signing of Barca: Five key things to know…
- Junior Firpo has signed a five-year contract at Barcelona.
- The left-back had also been linked with Liverpool in recent weeks.
- Barca have confirmed Firpo has a massive €200m release clause in his contract.
- They have already captured high profile stars such as Antoine Griezmann and Frenkie de Jong.
- The La Liga champions have their sights set on Champions League glory this season.
At just €18m – along with a potential €12m in add-ons – 22-year-old Firpo, who now has a massive €200m release clause at the Nou Camp, could go on to represent great value for money, deputising for and, eventually, replacing Jordi Alba at left-back for the Blaugrana.
Barca announced the signing with a statement on their official website which read: “
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Ernesto Valverde’s men kick off the defence of their La Liga title away at Athletic Bilbao on Friday, August 16.