Antoine Griezmann has revealed his desire for Liverpool to win the Premier League.
The 28-year-old forward, who recently swapped Atlético Madrid for Barcelona in a highly controversial move, named Liverpool as the team he admires the most in the Premier League.
Barça activated Griezmann’s £108m release clause after being linked with him for some time, but there’s since been contention as to when the club and player agreed the move.
Regardless, this season Griezman will be focused on putting on Barça’s jersey for the first time, as well as helping them win a first European Cup since 2015.
Since joining the Spanish champions he’s spoken about his excitement at being on the same team as five-time Ballon d’Or winner Lionel Messi, which he’s effectively labelled a dream.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
And while Griezmann believes La Liga has an advantage over the Premier League due to the presence of “the sun”, the Frenchman admits Liverpool are a club he greatly appreciates.
Asked which English club he admires the most, Griezmann said Liverpool “because of the fans”.
He added: “They deserve to win the Premier League, hopefully one day they will win it again.”
Will Griezmann ever play in the Premier League? Five key things to know…
- Griezmann has joined Barcelona after a five-year stint with Atletico Madrid.
- The 28-year-old is a World Cup winner with France but is yet to win La Liga.
- He has signed a five-year contract with Barcelona, meaning he will be 33 when his current deal expires.
- Whether there will still be interest in him from the Premier League in 2024 may depend on his performances for Barcelona.
- Griezmann has expressed a desire to one day play with Arsenal forward Alexandre Lacazette.