Augsburg and Wolfsburg face each other in the Bundesliga having both impressed against the big boys in their last league outing.
Augsburg were solid against Bayern and perhaps unfortunate to leave the Bavarian derby empty-handed. They eventually succumbed to defeat but did make the league-leaders wait till just five minutes shy of the interval for their first shot on goal.
Joshua Kimmich called the home side’s eventual 2-0 victory a “scrappy win”. But for an Augsburg team that have faced 111 shots on target and conceded 21 league goals since the winter break (the most in the division), that “scrappy win” was enough to get head coach Martin Schmidt the sack. He was replaced mid-March by former Bayer Leverkusen boss Heiko Herrlich, though he will be absent for the game against Wolfsburg after breaking quarantine measures.
Fresh start. Fresh kit 🔥
The boys will be wearing these "Augsburg Sticks Together" shirts tomorrow. Limited to 1,907 and 19.07% of proceeds will go to relief efforts. Get yours here!
— FC Augsburg (@FCA_World) May 15, 2020
Meanwhile, Wolfsburg are on a six-game unbeaten run in the league and boosted their hopes for a European spot next season by holding high-flying RB Leipzig to a goalless draw. Given the football Julian Nagelsmann’s side has been playing this season, that is no mean feat, albeit against a Leipzig line-up that rested a few players with their Champions League clash with Spurs in mind. Across the whole season, only two teams (Leipzig and Bayern) have conceded fewer goals than Wolfsburg, and the team coached by Oliver Glasner have actually won more away games than they have at home (5 vs 4).
Where to watch Augsburg vs Wolfsburg on TV:
- UK: BT Sport (kick-off 14:30 UK time)
- US: N/A
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Borussia Dortmund vs Schalke live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware. Any odds or promotions within this article are accurate at time of production (13:01, 15/05/20)
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Confirmed Augsburg line-up:
Your Match Day 26 XI:
— FC Augsburg (@FCA_World) May 16, 2020
Confirmed Wolfsburg line-up:
Casteels; Mbabu, Pongracic, Brooks, Otavio; Steffen, Schlager, Arnold; Mehmedi, Brekalo, Victor.
Players to watch:
- Augsburg: He was out of form before the season was suspended but overall no Bundesliga team rely on a single player quite like Augsburg rely on summer signing Florian Niederlechner. With 11 goals and six assists, the forward has directly contributed to 47.2% of their total of 37 Bundesliga goals. That is the highest such percentile contribution of any Bundesliga player this season. Niederlechner is a 29-year-old late-bloomer with experience as low down as the sixth-tier of German football. It seems we should think of him as the German Jamie Vardy, a player whose hunger for goals is matched only by his appetite for high-caffeine beverages (albeit, in Niederlechner’s case, we’re talking multiple macchiatos rather than Red Bull and snus). As of early February, he was one of 10 players to manage a hat-trick of assists across Europe’s top five leagues this season, having done so against Hoffenheim.
- Wolfsburg: Renato Steffen was used as a makeshift right-back against Leipzig but should revert back to his usual role in attack this weekend. With four goals and an assist, no Wolfsburg player has had a hand in more Bundesliga goals since the winter break and the clip embedded below is definitely worth your time. Given Wolfsburg’s defensive strengths, USA international John Brooks and Belgian goalkeeper Koen Casteels deserve your attention, too.
3️⃣ Toe-poke finish
A beautiful solo goal from Wolfsburg's Renato Steffen 🙌 pic.twitter.com/C2Yqc7yOT3
— 🇩🇪 Ja! Watch the Bundesliga live on BT Sport🇩🇪 (@btsportfootball) February 23, 2020
Scoreline prediction: Augsburg 0-1 Wolfsburg
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and most recent form (after gameweek 25):
- Wolfsburg: DDWWD
- Augsburg: LLLDL