Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has urged the club to “aspire to more” than challenging for the FA Cup.
The Gunners last clinched the domestic cup trophy in 2017, but Arsenal’s 2018/19 Golden Boot winner says he wants to be competing biggest prizes in football once again.
Can Arsenal aim higher than the FA Cup? Five things to know…
- Arsenal haven’t secured a league title since 2004 and are set to enter their third successive season without Champions League football.
- The Gunners came close to European glory last term but lost in the Europa League final to Chelsea.
- Despite having a new manager in the dugout, Arsenal failed to secure a place in the top four.
- Alexandre Lacazette believes a club like Arsenal should be playing in the Champions League “every season”.
- Aubameyang has echoed those views, believing the north London club need to reach for further heights, rather than only domestic cups.
Arsenal and Arsene Wenger famously parted company last summer after years of stagnation, but the introduction of Unai Emery has thus far failed to bring about a title challenge, or a place in Europe’s premier knockout tournament.
As such, Aubameyang has now delivered a rousing statement to help galvanise the troops, urging Arsenal to aim higher than just competing for domestic cup silverware.
“This is a great club, which has a very long history of winning important trophies, so it’s time we won something big again.
“There was the FA Cup a couple of years ago, but now we have to aspire to more. We have a strong mentality to always move forward after any setback.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Aubameyang hungry for Champions League football
Having traded Borussia Dortmund for Arsenal in January 2018, the Gabon international has endured a season-and-a-half hiatus from the Champions League, but he has now revealed his desire to once again hear the famous anthem.
He added: “That has to be the main target of every Arsenal season.
“You come back to training and that’s what everyone is thinking about.
“We’re hungry to hear that song once again. It’s time. We have the quality to do it, so we have to make sure we will do it.”