Ashley Young has revealed Antonio Conte wanted to sign him for Chelsea.
The 34-year-old defender linked up with the former Premier League-winning coach at Inter Milan this month after ending a near 10-year stay in Manchester with the Red Devils.
He subsequently marked his Nerazzurri debut against Cagliari with an assist, a pinpoint cross which Lautaro Martínez headed past Alessio Cragno, but Inter ultimately drew the game 1-1.
Interestingly, this was the first league goal Young created this campaign; he only managed two in the Premier League last season.
Originally a winger, Young was converted into a wing-back at Old Trafford and this transformation triggered the interest of Conte – who’s 3-4-3 system helped Chelsea win the title in 2016/17 – during his tenure in west London between 2016 and 2018.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“[Conte] wanted me a couple of years ago at Chelsea and he’s a fantastic manager,” he told Sky Italia.
“He’s won trophies and he’s got an ambition to want to achieve things. I want to do that as well, I want to achieve here at Inter.
“I want to win trophies, I want to win titles and with a manager like that, you want to go out there and fight for him.”
Can Conte’s Inter Milan still win Serie A? Five things to know…
- Inter are Juventus’ closest rivals to this season’s title; they are 8/13 favourites in William Hill‘s ‘Serie A – Without Juventus’ market.
- They started gameweek 22 second, three points off first-place Juve…
- …having dropped six points in their last three games.
- Inter’s last title win came back in their treble-winning season of 2010
- AC Milan are the last team to beat Juventus to the Scudetto, one year after their city rivals.
*18+ only and BeGambleAware.