New Arsenal boss Arteta expects to call on Ozil amid transfer links
Newly-appointed Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has praised Mesut Ozil and says he will be part of his plans.
The 31-year-old German playmaker is enduring a difficult campaign for the Gunners and recently found himself sidelined by former boss Unai Emery.
Ozil’s rough 2019/20 season: Five key things to know…
- Ozil has featured in eight of Arsenal’s opening 17 league matches this season.
- Before starting in each of the Gunners last seven Premier League games, he was left out of six matchday squads.
- Ozil is yet to score and has registered just one assist across 669 minutes of playing time.
- He’s been linked with a loan move to Turkish giants Fenerbahce.
- Incoming Arsenal boss, and former teammate, Arteta has indicated the playmaker will be part of his plans.
A run of underwhelming performances, that saw the north London club go seven matches without a win in all competitions, ultimately saw Emery shown the exit door.
He was subsequently replaced by his assistant and club legend Freddie Ljungberg, who could only manage one win in five, before the powers that be appointed Arteta — the Spaniard takes charge on Sunday, following Saturday’s clash with Everton.
The ex-midfielder spent his final playing days at the Emirates Stadium and would share the pitch on no fewer than 40 occasions with Ozil, who has been linked with a move away from England.
Turkish powerhouse Fenerbahce, according to regional outlet Fotomac, are hopeful of completing a six-month loan deal, but Arteta is expecting to have Ozil at his disposal when he takes control of first-team duties.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“He is a massive player for this club,” he told reporters.
“What I want is to understand how they are feeling and what they need. You have to understand it.
“When I understand them, I can take the excuses out of them and focus on the things that are relevant and have an impact for the team on and off the pitch.
“He is a massive player. I know, when he ticks, what he can bring to the team.”