Unai Emery has said Hector Bellerin and Rob Holding are nearing a return to action following Arsenal’s 1-0 win over Newcastle United.
The win at St James’ Park saw Emery field a centre-back pairing of Sokratis and Calum Chambers, who spent last season on loan at relegated Fulham.
Emery’s fitness update: Five key things to know…
- Arsenal signed defenders David Luiz and Kieran Tierney this summer.
- But Emery started with Monreal, Sokratis, Chambers and Maitland-Niles on Sunday.
- The Spaniard said Chambers “deserved” his chance to play.
- He claimed Bellerin is a “month” away from fitness.
- He also revealed Rob Holding will feature for the U-23 squad on Monday.
And although they were given a stern test in the air against Newcastle striker Joelinton, the duo kept it tight at the back, with Emery saying the Englishman “deserved” his chance after a promising pre-season, while addressing the fitness of several Arsenal defenders, including Bellerin and David Luiz.
Arsenal host Burnley at the Emirates on Saturday as they seek to make it two out of two for the new season so far.