Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette has issued a blunt response to speculation linking him with a summer move to Barcelona.
The Frenchman has notched 19 goals across all competitions for the Gunners so far, with an all-English Europa League final against Chelsea still to come.
Could Lacazette head up Barca’s rebuild? Five things to know…
- Lacazette has scored 19 goals across all competitions this season.
- The Frenchman has also provided more Premier League assists (eight) than any Arsenal player this term.
- Only Lionel Messi (34) and Luis Suarez (21) have reached a double-figure goals tally for Barca this term.
- Apart from Messi (13), no Blaugrana player has recorded more than eight assists.
- And Lacazette has admitted he is ‘flattered’ by the Barcelona speculation.
And despite winning the La Liga title at a canter, as well as having a Copa del Rey final against Valencia to look forward to, Barcelona are under immense pressure to overhaul their squad following their recent Champions League semi-final collapse against Liverpool.
Reportedly topping the list of targets for the Catalan giants is Lacazette, who made little secret of his feelings over the speculation when quizzed by reporters.
“It’s flattering,” Lacazette responded when asked about the Barcelona links by French outlet, Telefoot.
Lacazette: Emery has taken Arsenal to the next level
Despite not managing to push Arsenal back into the Premier League’s top four, there’s no doubting Unai Emery vastly improved Arsenal from last season.
The Gunners finished this campaign in fifth – one place higher than 2017/18, Arsene Wenger’s final season in charge – taking seven more points along the way. Furthermore, the Spaniard has guided Arsenal to the Europa League final, the club’s first European final in 13 years.
And Lacazette believes Emery has already succeeded in taking the club to the ‘next level’.
“That’s why the club got the coach,” he said. “To go to the next step and he did because we go into the final in his first season.
“I hope it is going to be great final and we will prepare for this.”